Hagerty.com

10 coolest luxury Muscle Cars from Buick and Oldsmobile

Luxury muscle cars began in the 1950s with cars like Chrysler’s 300 Letter Series, Studebaker’s supercharged Golden Hawk, and the 300-horsepower Buick Century. Oldsmobile was in there too, with its 300-hp Tri-Power J-2 Rocket engine option of 1957. However, with the exception of the Studebaker, these were full-size machines and the arrival of the mid-size 1964 Pontiac GTO rewrote the muscle car rulebook.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/05/25/luxury-muscle-cars-from-buick-and-oldsmobile

It was all good till you got the the 1973 Gran Sport and added the d! OOPS!

“Chrysler never got into the midsize muscle car game”. WHAT?
In 62 the midsize Plymouth and Dodge with 413 cu. in. In 63 with 426. In 66 the 426 HEMI.
Road Runner, GTX, R/T, ETC.

I had a 1963 Chrysler 300 J. 413 cubes and a auto that would compete with any of those cars. Beautiful inside out, AC, Tach, Floor shift and leather. Comfortable but a beast on the road if need be. My all time favorite car!

@buickracer Argh! You are correct. We’ve corrected the text and lightly shamed all responsible parties.

@dmaycock The author says that he meant Chrysler as a brand, not the overall company, with the thinking that Chrysler was more aligned against Buick and Oldsmobile with its luxury intent than Dodge and Plymouth.

While being a Ford guy I have appreciated much of the 50s & 60s GM styling. Some of my favorites were the 57 Pontiacs and Oldsmobiles. most of the 61 to 67 Pontiac and Oldsmobile full & midsize lines and big Chevrolets along with the 66 -67 Chevelles. I remember cars friends who owned; a bronze 57 Bonneville, another with a red 63 Grand Prix, my uncle’s dark blue 64 Grand Prix, a neighbor’s dark blue 65 GTO convertible with a white top, a friend’s dark blue 67 GTO and another neighbor’s dark blue 66 Cutlass Supreme. These are all cars I would like to have owned then and today.

My 1962 Chrysler 300 H with the “small” 380 hp 413 was timed through a flying mile at a tweak over 142 mph - the fastest that I have ever driven a car. A 300H with the big ram induction 413 turned the top time at the 1962 NHRA Nationals (source - HOT ROD Magazine).
BTW: In reality there was no such thing as a 400 cu in Nailhead even though Buick claimed a 400-inch displacement for the mid-60s GS-400. GM had a corporate policy that no engine larger then 400 ci in displacement would be used in it’s muscle cars of the era. Olds (394), Chevrolet (396). and Pontiac (389), were OK with the engines from the marque’s big cars. Buick had a problem as the big car engine actually displaced a tad over 401 cubic inches. Thus, for installation in the Skylark the 401 magically became 400 inches. There is no internal difference whatsoever between the 401 and the “400”.

I wouldn’t call a 1962 Mopar “midsize.”

In fact, neither did Plymouth or Dodge.

Really, they were “B” bodies. The Valiant was smaller and the Chryslers were larger. So, why do you say they were not mid-size?

The GNX was more a sub 5 sec car to 60. I believe the actual tine was 4.7 sec. The Grand National was a mid 5’s car.

They were full-size cars that were trimmed for 1962, then enlarged through 1964 until the C-bodies came out.

Chrysler never marketed the regular Plymouth or Dodge cars as anything other than full-size cars. There never was a comparison test with the Fairlane (a true mid-size car).