Hagerty.com

10 under $10K - Hot and affordable collector cars

No matter how you look at it, the collector car hobby is not a cheap one. On top of the purchase price of the car itself, you have registration, insurance, maintenance, fuel, and storage to consider. Fortunately, owning a classic is not just a hobby for the rich. There are plenty of great vintage cars and trucks available for those of us on a budget.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2017/09/21/10-under-10-affordable-collector-cars

I’m in the Gulf Coast of Texas and the foxbody Mustang scene is on fire here ’ there is no less that 5 mustang forums based here in the Houston metroplex’ … i actually just bought a 93 coupe ’ v8 5sp car silver on black and its super clean low miles and perfect for my collection Pony car collection

Just a clarification…The Midget is an early 60’s car…no outside door handles which appeared in the mark IV Midget/Sprite in 1965. I owned a '64 midget with sliding side curtains and no outside door handles and a '65 with door handles and roll up windows. Great cars and a lot of FUN!!!

Pretty cool seeing my favorite generation Mustang called a collector car. In regards to saying the styling is bland, I disagree. The designers used European styling cues, making the design appealing visually and functional. Too bad the article didn’t mention the even better looking Mercury Capri. Now, parts houses start producing restoration quality sheet metal and parts! These are “collector” cars, right?

Thank you for pointing out we had the wrong photo. We have updated the story.

. . . Thanks, Nick . .

I had a ‘65 Sprite…67cid & 57hp…i’m over 6’ tall and 235 lbs…needed a shoe horn to get in and out, They are fun but my Jags wee funner!

The debut of the 1979 Mustang and Capri SURE marked a distinct design change for the Mustang II… I worked in design at Monogram Models at the time and when we first saw the “new” Mustang in late 1977, it was obvious it would reawaken the famed Mustang AND Capri!! I believe Jack Telnack had a large hand in this design work and surely did on a “new classic” that followed; the 1983 - 1985 Thunderbird… I have a 1979 200CI Six fastback and a 1981 Mustang GT Turbo… liked them both!!

Beyond me how one can develop an admiring eye for Fox body Mustangs. My buddy bought one but thats bc it was hyper-hopped up 5L, but they still hurt most ppl’s eyes (& hearts) to look at. Guess even the dark age ‘stangs were inevitably going to have a fanbase… luckily there’s room for everyone - there are Pacer & Gremlins clubs! - which does keep it plenty entertaining. Interesting list…

Mustang, the best Fairmont Ford ever built!

What no Turbo Coupes? :wink: :wink: https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4461/37349742642_3ccc8e6713.jpg

I disagree. The fox body mustang is one of the most loved mustang. There are mustang clubs all across North America and it also brought the after market world to what it is today. I personally like the styling of the fox mustang and the performance they offered in the late 80 early 90 at low cost.

I just wish this article was true for New Jersey. No way can you find any of these cars at these prices here. If you did, the prices would be 50% more than the article states. Thinking I should tour the country and bring one back. Another reason why not to live in NJ.

cyclesmith, Don’t bother… the minute you bring the car to Jersey it will depreciate 30% and you will be taxed on how much you lost.

You’re not kidding. Fox body Mustangs were everywhere where I live in Norther NJ in the 80’s and 90’s. Unfortunately they were all raced and rusted to within an inch of their lives. These days you’re lucky if you see any around. I had to drive a 100 miles away to get my 84 GT 5.0, and I paid 30-40% more than people pay in more temperate parts of the country.

Always loved the fox body 'stangs and the Capri. Tons of aftermarket everything and I think they are great looking. I own a 1963 Nova SS. '63 was the first year for the SS option and '64, as you stated, was the first year for the V8. I like the car because it has comfortable seating for 4 (5 in a pinch) and with small block power it’s lightweight and fast. My Dad had a 1971 Suburban with a 350 and three on the tree. It’s the car I learned to drive in. We drove it through every province in Canada, out to California and back to Michigan, and then out to Maine and down the coast to Georgia pulling a Skamper pop-up the whole way. I still have the motor which will likely find it’s way into the Nova eventually.

I understand the Porsche Boxster being listed, but don’t forget the BMW Z3 especially the 6 cylinder versions such as the later 3.0 versions. Yes the M roadster and coupe are sexier, but a good 3.0 or 2.8 will pull all day long and will leave a big grin on your face at the end of the day…

The article mentions that the Oldsmobile Super Rocket 425 was rated at 300 hp. Maybe that rating was only for the 88 series cars; my family had a 1966 Olds 98 “Luxury Sedan” with the 425 Super Rocket engine that was rated at 365 hp. I embarrassed more than a few GTOs, Mustangs, Camaros, and Chevelles in that car, which was also a great “date car”. I had planned to buy it from my father after college, but unfortunately it was retired after I shortened it by a few feet when I hit a power pole sliding backwards in the rain at about 55 mph.

You must be kidding to suggest an MG Midget. Yes, they are small and cute. They also look great, sitting at the side of the road, while waiting for a flatbed.
Inexpensive to buy, because owners cannot get rid of them fast enough. You must be very cautious about rust and rot. Lucas electrics are as much a nightmare as the late model Volkswagens’.
Carry spare parts; a shop manual; a complete set of tools; and the knowledge for any sudden repairs that are required. Of course, the main ingredient to successful ownership of a Midget … patience! Sitting alone, at the side of the road, can be a very lonely experience. Forget a wife or any girl friends: one break down and you will be on your own!

The MG Midget can be a very reliable and trustworthy little steed - when treated right. Due to low initial cost many where purchased by owners that rode them hard and performed little or no maintenance. I have owned several and drove one throughout high school. The only time my 1972 Midget let me down was when I neglected to change out a very frayed alternator belt, thinking “I can replace it this summer”. Well, I did end up changing it on the side of the road. In February. My date was not impressed.

About eight years ago I decided to get back into the LBC’s (Little British Cars) and bought a 1976 Midget with the Triumph 1500cc engine. My son and I did a complete “ground up” rebuild which was a great learning experience for him, as Midgets are about as dirt-simple a car as you can find. For example, there are only four major circuits in the electrical system and troubleshooting is a breeze. Try that on a modern car with CAN-BUS architecture, eleven “body control modules” and other computers hidden away throughout the vehicle. Parts are very easy to source and quite inexpensive. My son had such a good time working on the Midget that he later bought his own 1974 MGB and used it as a daily driver for his last two years of high school.
If you are considering any MG or other 40 year old British car you have to be aware of the common rust areas for the model. Don’t look for the cheapest vehicle on Craigslist as it is sure to be hiding issues (unless you are prepared, talented and equipped to do a ground-up restoration). Look for the cleanest example you can find.
My counterpoint would be that if they are such junk, why are so many still on the road and in running condition after all these years? Understand that you are buying a 38+ year old car (the last ones came off the line in 1980) and not a new Toyota Camry. Just stating that MG’s across the board are unreliable does these cars a great disservice, as they can be quite reliable when maintained correctly and a very enjoyable way to get into “classic car” ownership.