Hagerty.com

10 under $10K - Hot and affordable collector cars

You bring up some very good points, and I agree with “most” of your response. I wish that my son had the interest, as yours had with you. I owned a Bug Eye back in the sixties, and it was a fun, reliable little puddle jumper. From Toronto, Canada, I drove to Florida two years in a row. Let me tell you; I was early twenties and foolish. However, one three week trip; the next was four weeks, and not a problem. Reasonable economy, sporty discomfort, and a babe magnet to boot.
I wanted to relive the past, so I found a “restored” Sprite a few years ago. Unfortunately, I am not as young as I used to be. Therefore my patience is not as willing as before. Parts are available, but there is also a time restraint waiting for them. Do I have buyer’s remorse; sometimes, but you cannot turn back the hand of time. I do have a 1968 North American classic to drive, and I am going to attempt another shot at the past. A 1970 Dodge Coronet Super Bee.
We are all entitled to our opinions and I definitely respect yours!

Mr. Kramer. I’ve owned over thirty English cars over the last fifty-two years and though I must admit to the occasional field-expedient repair, the only experiences with a tow truck were due to self-inflicted issues or a failed water pump in a car which had only done 4,000 miles in twenty-two years. Contrary to popular legend, LUCAS is not an acronym for “Let Us Create A Short” Not once in all that time was I stranded by electrical issues.

I’ve experienced more trouble with domestic cars of the fifties, sixties and seventies than in any car from that soggy isle across the Great Pond. Most issues and horror stories with those cars were likely created by otherwise competent and patriotic mechanics forced by their bosses to work on that “furring piece of junk” whilst their buddy next stall over was flat-rating the h-e-double-hockey-sticks out of that Fairlane’s points-plugs-condenser job. My issues with the domestic lot were likely my disdain for cars which I believed “couldn’t stop or get out of their own ways” How I now long for Mom’s '55 StarChief or one of Dad’s long line of Falcons. Not great cars, but not nearly as bad as I then thought.

ALL makes have their issues. I sincerely wish you trouble-free cruising in the old iron of your choice.

I think that we both agree: love of an automobile, regardless of the origin, is in the “heart” of the beholder. I bought the Bug Eye with my heart. Please note that I do not have any regrets. I did have many enjoyable drives out into the country, on two lane roads, where these cars belong.
Feel good … absolutely. Better than my Camaro … yes, but a different kind of buzz.
I always dreamed of owning an Austin Haley 3000, but, as the values have become astronomical, I just admired them from a distance. Maybe one day; never say never.
Have a great New Years holiday, for you and all of your family. It has been a pleasure.

Interesting… I’ve owned 5 of the 10 cars featured in the article: Merc hardtop in light green, 70 Midget was my racecar, 64 Dodge was our company pickup, 82 Fox body GT was my going to Texas A&M hot rod, and presently own a G60 Corrado. All were splendid vehicles, each with a story.
The Corrado, first listed in the article, is a “tinkerer’s dream”, a vehicle one must pay careful attention to. Apprenticeship under a former Luftwaffe mechanic has helped.

Owned two of these, although mine was the AH designation, 69 sprite and to the other extreme a 63 Merc Monterey convertible. I am 6 foot 2 and cursed thesprite every time I got in it. The Merc was a great highway cruiser. Wish I still Had them both.

Being a car guy my entire 16-67 life; I love em all but recently obtained a car that I was not familiar with; in doing some “going to be collectible” reading ran across. It’s a 1993 Alfa Romeo 164. The history is interesting; attempted to make it in the US market but failed; with the Alfa Romeo coming back into our market I think these are going to become more and more sought after; opinions welcomed.IMG_05331

The Corrado’s father…the Scirocco is becoming a rare bird also

OMG! Is that your Scirocco!? Beautiful, and I totally agree, they are very hard to come by. They were
popular amongst the ‘wealthier’ kids in school. I graduated in '81 and always thought they were really cool.
This pic must be an ad photo, exceptional! Thanks for the great memory…

I am new to the car cruise scene and my wife and I bounced around deciding which model to start our collective project with. It came down to an 67-70 Ford F-100 or a mid 60’s thunderbird. Well, ended up buying a 1972 Volvo 1800 emotional purchase well under the $10K mark. I have started my English car learning curve and taking it a little at a time. My son is 8 now and starting to get his hands dirty too. My wife absolutely loves this car! Myself, kind of reminds me of working on UH-1’s so I do not mind.

Ohh they are very cheap no doubt, I cant believe. They are just selling in California? I wanna buy a car in a low budget. Please let me know if you guys selling in Oakland Garden.