Hagerty.com

10 ways to own a classic for under $10k

Without even taking into account maintenance and modification, a classic car can often seem like a daunting purchase that your wallet can’t weather. That’s not always the case, though. If you know what to look for, there are vintage models on the market that are plentiful, affordable, and relatively easy to keep running.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/04/11/10-ways-to-own-a-classic-for-under-10k

Maybe it is just me. But I don’t view any of those 10 cars as collectable. :slight_smile:

its just you.

i have several e30 cabrios, nifty slick city cars, you can fix everyting in it and they are safe to give to your teenagers, they are somewhat heavy, but the pinin farina style is awesomely good looking!

I agree, there are so many other cool cars. None of those would be worth anything to me.

… and it’s not just you ksherman, there are millions of us out there!

Not long ago I had a 69 Suburban 3 door that was quite fun and well under $10k. There was a time when a 55 Chevrolet and 65 Mustang were crusher fodder. Further back post-war was not that interesting to some. A few of these newer cars will eventually be collected. In a decade or more there may not be as many car collectors in general though.

That’s quite alright, you don’t have to understand. Keep driving your Pontiac Aztec, and I’ll collect and drive ALL of the interesting and APPRECIATING cars and trucks. :wink:

the owners of the “classics” from the 50’s are a vanishing breed. The owners of the 60’s muscle are baby boomers likely getting close to the end of the buying/holding/collecting cycle. For the rest of us, we should buy with two thoughts in mind: 1-what we like and want regardless of others opinions, and 2- what is likely going to be collectable to others, even if we, ourselves dont like it. Point in case? Who in their mid or late 40’s- 50’s is interested in the '88 bimmer…been there done that and it is not iconic to me. But what about the late 1980’s child who grew up drooling over that car? He or she may be a future buyer just as I might be for the late 1970’s muscle or foreign cars that I was too young to drive and my parents too middle class to afford! My M.O. buy what I like that will also have value and appeal to the kids of MY kids generation. If I do it correctly, my kids might even keep my collection intact…after I am out of production.

Just read the list… wait, it’s not April Fools Day, is it?

Not a bad list, and I’ve owned a couple of these. Some I would consider dogs, but not everyone can afford a great muscle car. The big Ford Bronco and F-150 I think are keepers, and I have a completely original 1966 Bronco that I have owned since new. I sure regret selling my 1967 GTO, my 1969 Grand Prix Model J, and a few others, but didn’t always have unlimited garage space. I just think everyone should consider anything that is somewhat significant and affordable and preserve them.

Cadillac Fleetwood for me.

I’m with Sherman… nothing here that the common man wants to own. Eliminate all the 1970 - 1992 epa cars and you are left with an oversize Caddy road boat or a Willy’s Jeep that is painfully slow, painfully sprung and painful in weather.

I Agree.
now a sleeper that you can buy reasonable (although a little more then 10 grand)
a 71 / 72 Torino.
68 to 72 Cougars
68-78 firebirds
62-72 Buick Skylark, Skylark custom (middle trim level) or GS GSX is the one that costs the dough.
Wife just picked me up a 71 skylark custom with only 43K miles on it. admittedly, the school teacher who owned it (found her union newsletter under the back seat) was behind on her maintenance. It needed shocks, brakes, battery, alt, tires, water pump, a tune up, a carb overhaul. If I had not just had triple bypass surgery I could have taken care ot that myself.
As it is, I “hired it out” to a trusted mechanic and I got 32K total into the car (cost 12.5K to us) and it is a very nice driver. I could only get 20 K for it if I was selling, but I will get maybe 10 years of entertainment out of it if I live that long.

If this is truly what the future considers Classic Cars I can only be thankful that by that time I will be dead.

How about Alfa Romeo Spiders? It is rare to see one over $10,000. You can also easily get a GTV6 for under 10 grand. I don’t see one of those on the list as nice. A Saab Sonnett just went for $7 grand and change on a popular auction site. And of course an MGB can easily be had for under $10K.

Come on, they are out there. I just bought a 1958 GMC 100, Wide-Side long-bed, 336 V-8, 4 speed Hydro-Matic, deluxe heater, factory radio, no rust with 52, 000 original miles. Father bought it new, son got it in 1981 and I bought it a month ago, $9,000!

I am on my 20th collector car since 1978. If I would have invested in any of those “top ten” vehicles I would have never had as many cars because I would have been broke long before my 20th car for sure. Let’s just say that you can buy those cars for under $10K and leave the word collector for TRUE collector cars!

HAHAH. Right… im with you a caddy??

You’ve got to be kidding me!!!?

I’m a big fan of Haggerty, but this list is a miss.