Hagerty.com

12 band names inspired by cars

Pacific NW band. Jr. Cadillac.

The Datsuns, rock band from New Zealand. Look them up.

May have already been mentioned - but Rose Royce (Car Wash). Or - Flash Cadillac and the Continental Kids.

The Mavericks.
The name may not have been selected because of the car but the name is still that of a car. Give them a listen.

Chubby Checker actually named himself after his idol, Fats Domino. And the band that inspired the whole idea of giving bands odd names like Jefferson Airplane and such was a house band for a topless club in S.F., that changed their name from “The Chessmates” to “Stark Naked And The Car Thieves.”

OK, I read the first sentence and now I want an article on all the best songs that actually contain engine sounds.

1 Like

The Almond Bros…!!! You’re nuts…

Thanks to Google, you can find a band with any car name. Within ten seconds I found a band named the Road Runners. https://www.facebook.com/The-Roadrunners-1030960826936481/

Yeah I messed that one up. I kept thinking about Cher & Greg and I did go nuts.

How about Bachman-Turner Overdrive??

Sure it’s a fictitious name, but it positively reeks of gear oil and that “old car smell”!

And it sounds like it COULD’VE been an option on any early '60s Studebaker…

Bill Haley and The Comets

Look up the women who made up the GTOs. The most famous one is Pamela Des Barres.

AMC had a car named Eagle

Fun article with everyone on house arrest, but it’s stretching it to say all these names were inspired by cars. Booker T and the Memphis Group, Fleetwood Mac?..it’s actually Mic’s last name. lol, sorry for the cold water, carry on!

I hate to be THAT guy, but Pantera was one of the biggest artists in their genre at the time. 1994’s Far Beyond Driven was #1 in the U.S. and certified Platinum, along with the majority of their major label releases- they certainly had far more mainstream success and critical acclaim than Chevelle, for instance. Pantera is arguably one of the most successful groups mentioned in this list.

Whoever wrote this is either too young or too old to recall this; Exhibit A: the album art used in this article was from the band’s time as a hair metal act. 1990’s Cowboys From Hell was Pantera’s debut major label album, and that’s when the band reinvented itself and established a new image and sound- many music fans mistakenly believe it was their first album.

Awesome article though. Car aficionado/music snob out. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Zephyr a band with tommy bolin, Chaparral, Falcons

Suzanne Vega, well-built, unlike the car.

Unless I missed it, the country band Diamond Rio. The got their name on the way to a gig in Hershey, Pa, when driving past Diamond Reo truck manufacturing facility. Changed the Reo to Rio to avoid copyright/brand infringement issues

1 Like

Nobody? I thought “Pink Floyd” would be one of the obvious ones. “Steely Dan” sounds like it would be related, but that’s a whole 'nother thing altogether.

@jglasco - Is there a car called the Pink Floyd?