Hagerty.com

16 cars named after famous racetracks

Manufacturers are quick to tie the cars on the dealership floor to the cars that trade paint on the racetrack. Everyone wants to own a race winner. It has led to checkered flags appearing on the fenders of numerous brands, including Pontiac, Ford, and Chevrolet. That “win on Sunday, sell on Monday” mantra has also brought the names of many of the world’s most prestigious racetracks directly to some of our favorite cars. Here are some of the best examples of cars named after famous circuits.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/05/07/cars-named-after-famous-racetracks

Chebbie/Lancia Monte Carlo. First thing I thought aboot and Imma Ford guy.

What about The Chevrolet Chevelle Laguna S3 from 74 to 76?! My 1974 Laguna:20190314_194204|690x371

Corvair Monza, Plymouth Sebring, Pontiac Le Mans… I consider this a lack of respect to those historic motorsport venues. Cheap marketing ploy.

1 Like

What about the Maserati Indy?!

How soon is forgotten the Lark based Studebaker Daytona. Debuted with the 1962 model as a pace car for the Daytona 500. My wife still says it was the favorite of the several Studebakers we owned in the 2000s.

Porsche Targa from the Targa Floria.

I think Aston Martin should be included here - Lionel Martin designed the original cars, but the “Aston” part refers to the hill-climb venue Aston Clinton - certainly as famous in England as many racing circuits!

I was hoping to see my 1949 Healey Silverstone in the list!

Bentley Bentayga Pikes Peak edition

How about the Chevrolet MonteCarlo?

Carrera means race it is not a racetrack, Panamera is a portmanteau.

How about the Pontiac Can Am?

Targa refers to the roof rather than the race: Targa = sheild or plate.

Pontiac was notorious for naming their cars after racing series.
Formula - It was a sub model of the Firebird and Fiero, but Formula 1, Formula V, Formula Whatever.
Trans Am - Another Race series
Grand Prix - A group of race series…
Grand Am - Is a Road Race series.
Firehawk - Technically a Pontiac, it was an SLP derivative, but there was Firehawk Series, but also tied to Firestone Tires.

Buick had the Grand National Which was in essence what is now the Monster Energy series.

Porsche Targa (Florio)
Sonoma (GM Pickup)
Ferrari Rossa Mugello
Chevy Monte Carlo
Chevy Monza (mid 70’s)

The Bentley Brooklands. Brooklands racetrack England.

Audi Avus
Maserati Kyalami

a motorcycle, not a car - Moto Guzzi Imola

and a race track named after a car model - AMG Raceway in South Korea

Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco

Look up Targa Floria…