The word “phantom” evokes images of something elusive, visionary, abstract or ideal, and the regal Rolls-Royce Phantom embodies the word perfectly. The Derby, England, company – from its Manchester beginnings in 1904 – built a world-renown reputation for handcrafting supremely refined “motorcar” chassis. In 1904, Charles Stwart Rolls, the dashing aristocratic 28-year-old son of Lord and Lady Llangattock (whose ancestral seat was at The Hendre in Monmouth) met with 41-year-old car-builder Fredrick Henry Royce, the son of a miller and a student of precision (the English equivalent to Henry Leland). The wealthy Charles Rolls was considered one of the finest motorcar drivers (in competition events) in England, and had a dealership in London – with partner Claude Goodman Johnson – that specialized in importing luxury cars from Belgium and France. Royce agreed to give Rolls exclusive rights of selling his cars, in addition to adding his name to the automobile. Johnson, an intricate member of the new company, is often considered the hyphen in the Rolls-Royce name.
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2007/02/07/1927-rolls-royce-new-phantom-brougham-de-ville