Hagerty.com

1961-1967 Econolines

I love these vans, I have had mine for about 8 years. I swear this van is trying to put me over the edge. I have not been able to figure out how to keep this thing running cool or more important keep the heat out if the cockpit. I’ve been all over the Web with no solutions. I’ve installed 3 carbs, one new, electronic ignition (2 kinds) electric fans on the original radiator and one new aluminum 3 core radiator with fan, insulated the inside of the doghouse with some kind of nasa foil that is supposed to be great, insulated the outside with standard sticky stuff they use under carpet just to watch it melt, rebuilt the head, installed fresh air intake to the card and reinstalled the original air cleaner, located and reinstalled the original belly pan that everyone threw away during the first repair to the van, anti freeze/coolant with wetter water. You get the point. The van is hot as hell and because it’s so hot it boils the gas and then it stinks to high heaven after you shut it down. Basically it has no redeeming qualities, except, the body style is absolutely badass and absolutely everyone digs it. I’ve got to figure this out or get a new old lady (she’s tired of hearing about it). If anybody has figured this out, I sure would like to hear from them.
Thanks for listening to me whine, go Ford.

Have you changed the water pump and/or the thermostat? Hoses can get clogged like arteries and the thermostat can be sticky , water pump could even be clogged or causing drag. As for engine heat in the cabin, Raptor skin heat coating is very good, spray or paint it in and it helps with sound and heat, wrap or ceramic coat the exhaust manifold will keep the heat down in the engine area. I Jet Hot coated a few headers in the classic Minis I had and that help greatly with heat in the engine bay. The Mini has the carburetor right above the exhaust, so heat can boil the fuel. Jet Hot coating stopped that.

I was thinking about ceramic coating the exhaust manifold, on the ford 240 the intake and exhaust manifolds are intertwined and I wasn’t sure just coating the exhaust would work. I aiso installed an electric pump for fuel and installed a fiber spacer under the carb for heat transfer, I’m just wondering how they sold thousands of these things without everyone returning them. The water pump appears to circulate well and the t-stat opens and closes as designed as best I can tell. I will follow up on the ceramic coat and give it a try.
Thanjs for the input.

Ceramic coating the combined intake/exhaust would help to keep the heat radiating from the exhaust side and the intake coated will reflect the heat. The convection heat through the combined part would still get hot, but figure it would be lessened heat transfer to the cabin. I’d still suggest you change out the thermostat, simple and cheap enough to replace and good piece of mind knowing it is one less thing you have to figure out.