Hagerty.com

1974 Mercury Marquis Brougham - Hawaii 5-0 Mercury

“Book ’em, Danno.” With this parting shot from lantern-jawed television Detective Captain Steve McGarrett, another criminal’s day in paradise comes to an end. Hawaii 5-0s McGarrett walks away, slides into the driver’s seat of a long black Mercury, and cranks up the V-8 engine. Cue the theme music.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2017/08/04/hawaii-5-0

I’m old enough to remember the first 5-0 series with Jack Lord. I watched it every week from 68 to 1980 and now watch the new 5-0 too. I’ce only seen the new McGarett drive the black '74 Merc one time on the new show showing him driving away down a long deserted road. I think he referred to it as his grandfather’s car if I remember correctly. I would love to see pics of the restored '68 though. I wouldn’t mind having one or even a 1969 or '70 Marauder for that matter. My dad worked for Ford for over 40 years but his personal car was always a big Mercury.I love FoMoCo cars, especially love the older big Mercs. I’ve had a few of them over the years, mainly when they were only a couple or few years old at the time. They are definitely unique looking cars. People either Love them or Hate them, no in-between. Maybe one day I’ll own one again. here’s a pic of me in 1965 in

my dad’s '63 Monterey 2 door Breezeway coupe.