Hagerty.com

2019 Bull Market List: 10 best collector cars to buy this year

Roadmasher! The ultimate iteration of the American station wagon.

Regarding your description of the Pontiac G8 GXP as being the closest thing to a four door Corvette, I would respectfully draw your attention to the Cadillac CTS-V. Especially the supercharged models.

Great to see the Boxster finally starting to get its due! One clarification on the IMS bearing: The early base cars equipped with the 2.5L engine featured a double-roller IMS bearing with an extremely low failure rate. IMS failures began to appear in '99 when Porsche bumped the base engine to 2.7L with a single row bearing. I own a '98 Base with 100K and the original bearing with no signs (oil changes reveal no particles that might be an early warning sign) of IMS failure. That said, I will change the bearing during the next clutch replacement as the extra labor at that point is minimal.

Roadmaster? Nah, I’ll stick with my '66 Ford Country Squire!

I bought my Roadmaster Estate a few months ago. Of course, we had to use it to pick up this year’s Christmas tree.
We took it to Tennessee and wound our way around the Foothills Parkway. Everyone wanted to ride in the 3rd row seat, and who could blame them?
I tell people our '94 5-speed Mustang GT convertible is our “midlife crisis” car, and our '95 Roadmaster Estate is our “second childhood.”

this list needs more English. Like the 1st generation XKR

I am questioning the information you have published about the Ford Bronco. I purchased an '83 Bronco XLT in November of 1983 as an executive lease car turn-in at Ford Aerospace in Palo Alto, CA. These were offered to employees and ex-employees at the wholesale price that dealers could later buy them for. It had a little over 15K miles on the clock and I bought the truck for a little over $13K. I remember that the MSRP on the window sticker, which was still in the vehicle, was over $19K. Not the $10K you have indicated was the original price of these vehicles. Given my actual experience, how can I then trust any of the other “data” you’ve published about any of the vehicles?

BTW, I recently got back into the Bronco ownership club with a '95 XLT. While you folks keep referring to a third, fourth and fifth generation of full sized Broncos, they are basically all the same vehicle with changes to the front sheet metal in 1987 and 1992. Transmissions came and went. My '83 was a three speed C6 and my '95 is an E4OD, with various AOD configurations coming in between, but the trucks were basically the same vehicle from 1980 to 1996.

@ragtop69 - NADA Guides also cites the $10,858 price when new. A possible explanation between your executive lease and this price would be the $10k number is for a base Bronco whereas the executive lease likely would have be a top trim level or highly optioned model.

Congrats on rejoining the Bronco ownership club. I always hear good things about them, I might have to find one to enjoy myself.

The '94-'96 Roadmaster Wagon can come with posi (Limited Slip Differential in GM terms). Just look for the G80 option in the RPO codes. The chances of it still working may be a different story as they routinely fail if abused (ie: too many smoky burnouts). The RPO sticker on the wagon is located in the right jamb of the tailgate door. Additionally, according to the owners manual, the tow limit is 5000 lbs. (and that requires option V92). The V92 code is a nice upgrade that includes additional options including different gearing, a mechanical fan, and fluid coolers. The 7000 lbs. tow option was only available on the '94-96 Cadillac Fleetwood (D-body platform) which shared much of the same underpinnings as the B-body platform.

Finally some variation of the gorgeous BMW E9 coupe makes a collector car list! In 1987, I bought a 1973 3.0 CS and restored it about 20 years ago. The E9 is one of the best that BMW ever built, is a complete head-turner and it drives as well as any modern car. It is THE BEST car I’ve ever driven at highway speed for long periods; the cockpit is incredibly comfortable and that inline 6 just goes and goes and goes and goes…

Actually, my '83 XLT was a pretty vanilla unit. The base model was the XL. Mine did have options like cruise control, stereo radio, power door locks, deluxe interior trim, captain’s chairs and a pair of monster trailer towing mirrors, but it also had roll up windows and manual hubs. It was a 302 (5.0L) and I owned it for 17 years always longing for a 351W, power windows, a rear defogger and that sexy Crown Victoria paint scheme. My '95 has all those things with the exception of the Crown Vic paint. I’ve owned it for a little over a year now and I’m loving it.

I prefer the second-gen MR2; it is much sleeker than the origami-look of the first-gen.

No Italiano ??

I’ve owned our 94 Road Monster for a little over a year now! You cant beat the performance and style when it comes to pulling our camper and all our gear to the great up north here in Wi. Its got all the modern SUVs beat hands down and always get a thumbs up!!

W9Qivr1jS9TkUUJxa.jpeg)

As an owner of a great condition, very low mileage 944 bought for $5k, I concur with all here who “know” about them. Easily the best dollar per fun car I have ever paid for. Not sure why they are still not taking off but will hold onto mine for a long time.

As for the Boxster, it was the natural step up for this Porsche-afile. But I went with a '12 Spyder that is insanely light, fast, and draws plenty of attention. It is also quite rare, so long term outlook will be good, but I doubt I will ever sell it. It’s quite the race car for the street as most Porsches are.

I had a 2004 WRX STi that I sold for $19,000 in 2014. The car was stock except for an after market stereo system. When I was doing valuation research on the car to sell there where many STi’s for sale that had any where from $10K to $20K of performance modifications done to them. I think I got more for my bone stock WRX STi then those that had been modified and abused. Many of the WRX STis have been abused and rocked around by kids. That car was a running machine, probably the fastest car I have ever owned. I had a 1971 DeTomaso Pantera at the same time as the STi. I think the STi would outrun the Pantera.

Another great car to think about for next year may be the ultra rare Cadillac STS-V! Often mistaken for its little brother the CTS-V, these were the very first Supercharged versions of the V family cars. They were only made a few years with production number being very low each year. This is my 2006 which was the lowest production year at 1,306 built. This car boasted at 469 HP Supercharged 4.6 Northstar V8 and is an absolute blast to drive!

I agree zray. Here is my 2000 Aston Martin DB 7 with 18,000 miles

I think early 2000s performance will likely be the next collector car segment to blow up in value. The WRX and G8 are already on the list. The early Cadillac V-series cars (as mentioned by jcrynock) are an outstanding performance value just waiting to be discovered. The Jaguar XKs and Aston DB7s also mentioned here have aged beautifully and now at least the Jaguars are in the price range of normal people. Don’t forget the C5 Corvette Z06 and SRT Mopars. They’re all outshone by their modern equivalents but still have a lot more punch than comparably priced new cars.

How about the Subaru SVX?

. I drive one from 1992. It is somehow similar to my 1980 Porsche 928S. Both cars are “winter cars”.