Hagerty.com

2020 Bull Market List: 10 collector cars (and one bike) on the rise this year

For the past two years, Hagerty has been foolhardy enough to share our list of the cars, trucks, SUVs, and motorcycles we believe will gain the most value over the next year. We say “foolhardy enough” because the only thing crystal balls do reliably well is fail to predict the future. “Foolhardy enough,” too, since placing the emphasis on a car’s monetary value over its other virtues is, as every gearhead knows, a total inversion of priorities.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/12/16/best-collector-cars-to-buy-now-2020-bull-market-list

So why do it? It just makes me suspicious that the Hagerty staff is front-running these “trades”? It’s one thing to debate the merits of different cars or wonder when, if ever, certain cars will become collectible. It’s another thing all together to make “calls” like this as if you’re picking stocks. I don’t like it. Are you suggesting we buy these cars now before the surge in price? If not, what’s the point?

“models looking less like traditional classics and more like the wish list of the high school Class of 1999.”
Except for the Ferrari and Viper, looks more like a used car lot.
I guess the same could have been said for the original Chrysler 300 Letter Cars and GTO’s and Mustangs sitting on lots in the early 70’s for short money. If you actually like any of these 90’s cars, grab them on the cheap, but only if you really like them, just in case ‘collector car status’ never comes.

The later integras are phenomenal - as a person who grow up with muscle cars they are quick great handling and dependable eve at 20+ years old -

Absolutely love the 1996/7 Viper GTS. I’ll get me one SOON!

1 Like

Glad to see the Jeep Cherokee on the list, great vehicles, 3 of my best buddies have had them over the years. Hard to find not busted up/ used up and they command strong money if in good shape.
Guys that claim Hagerty is trying to manipulate the market crack me up, like the Hagerty warehouse is full of CRXs, Integras, Cherokees, Vipers and they’re just sitting back laughing saying, “HA we’ll sell these next year when these guys are scrambling to buy them and make a MINT!”.
They’re just picking cool fun cars that are showing some promise.
Speaking of that- I’d like to see an article on great condition, inexpensive vintage daily drivers that seat 4+ from these brands- Acura, Honda, Toyota, Lexus. Plenty of older pretty cherry vehicles to be had for around or under $6,000.

2 such vehicles, ES300 and Legend…
es300 legend

I was kind of surprised to see the Ferrari 360 make the list. Surprised only because the car is such a sleeper. Unless you’re into the Ferrari brand, it would be difficult to recognize this classic screaming down the road. Most people think it’s just a Corvette or even a hopped up Miata. It’s a fine car that’s easy to work on, exquisitely finished and amazing to drive. Corners beg for more throttle and straights want full gas to red line. I have a 2001 gated 360 Spider.

2 Likes

First of all, I’m a big fan of these articles and it’s nice to see a bike finally made the list! The 916 is without a doubt a truly exciting riding experience, supported by what I can only describe as a dedication to the dream that is Ducati ownership. There is no questioning this bikes origin…its beautiful and its high maintenance. It has that presence you fantasize about until your wallet runs dry.

Have you ever considered a Bike Bull Market List?

2 Likes

Is Hagerty’s trying to build demand for cars like those on the list while pushing up the price to increase their insurance premiums? Almost every car made has fans and followers; that does not qualify them as “collector cars”.
Hagerty’s prices seem rather high for most of the cars on this list. The 1st gen Range Rovers and 914’s routinely sell for less than 1/2 what is show for cars in #2 condition,

@j.b.mcdonnell - They can’t force anyone to pay them more for insurance since they arent the only option for coverage. In fact, they can’t make people who are looking to purchase or sell these cars pay or accept more money either. They have adjusted prices in both directions in their valuation tools, not just raised all vehicle prices year over year like some folks would love to see.

1 Like

Just waiting for Kyle to step in and tell everyone that questions Hagerty about anything, how wrong they are for having an opinion that doesn’t praise the mother ship.

@tahend - We have the right to defend ourselves and explain our position when criticized, just like any Forum member. I hope that it never comes off as confrontational, because it is not meant to be.

We are happy folks share dissenting opinions and are even happier to discuss those opinions. We know not everyone loves Hagerty, and that is okay. However, I don’t think we can be blamed for try to turn any haters into believers.

Everyone is always touting the “rarity” of the ITR, and if you’re only looking at the numbers for North America (including Canada), then they are somewhat rare…unfortunately…worldwide production was over 30k cars. Also, as the “Have to have one at any cost” crowd has been relatively satisfied…more recent sales results have not been nearly as high. They are decent performers, for what they are, but are ultimately over priced currently.

Trends and statistics are interesting and Hagerty has the inside track to great info for just that thing. I believe that Hagerty does not really care what you drive as long as you give them a shot at getting your business. As for the forum, I have never felt Kyle has ever been critical of any opinion.

I’m surprised not to see the 81-90 Land Cruiser FJ60 / 62 in this list. These Toyota wagons are breaking out and I’m seeing low mileage clean examples selling in the $40K to $60K range more and more.

What a plethora of vehicles here. Can just imagine them lined up next to each other only to decide which one to drive first, then second… The one which piques my most interest is the Porsche 914. All points made ring true. Bought a used ‘74 2.0 out of college in ‘76. Drove the pants off of it, then moved up the Porsche Ladder until ‘14 when a 914/6 popped up on the radar. Now it seems the 914 is getting the respect it deserved only 50 years later. A lot of the former enthusiasts are now gone who’d really wanted to be accepted and respected. A sorry state since the car, with all its’ peculiarities, was the leading edge of technology for its’ time. Can only think of one other mid-engine sports car, the Dino 206gt(246GTS) that was available for purchase in 1969. A 6 cylinder supplanted by the factory made for a whole different driving experience. Too bad that all the devaluations of the US Dollar/German Mark priced the car too close to a base 911T. Yes, the driving experience can be equated to a go-kart, but what an incredible go-kart it is.

Details are in the editing. There were no BMW Z3M coupes imported to the U.S., everyone was made (and conceived) here.

I look forward to this specific bull market forum and all the chatter and debate involved. The only downer is I’m seeing less and less of my beloved 60’s and 70’s, particularly the muscle cars in discussion. Everyone seemingly has their hot sports opinions. And Kyle, I like it when you chime in too as it brings Hagerty in the mix even more. I always get more out of these articles and posts than I did going into them.

1 Like

Ducati 916 - are you sure? “reverses the street-shift pattern from one-down, four-up to one-up, four-down”

maybe on my 72 Yamaha 350, but not the 916.

Somebody is talking who has never driven the Duck. Sorry.

Well, ok, maybe they got spooked going too fast and did not shift into “high”.

However, back in the mid 1990s, I sat on the 916 on the dealer’s showroom a lot of times while I was trying to sell my little software company. At 6-feet 200 pounds I felt a bit large, and when I could finally buy it - well I did not.

Thanks to Hagerty, when I sell my 1997 FLSTS, I think I will look at the 916 again.

Yes, you can do that to a Ducati 916.