Hagerty.com

2020 C8 Corvette: 0-60 in under 3 seconds, starts below $60,000

Decades of GM engineering studies and years of development on behalf of the current Corvette team have finally led to this moment, the unveiling of the first production Corvette with a rear-mid-engine layout. We’ll spare you the history lesson and trivia—except for mentioning that this is the first mid-engine car from General Motors since the Pontiac Fiero. First impression—this one is definitely faster. Here are the details you’ve been waiting for.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/07/19/2020-mid-engine-corvette-c8-supercar-debut

I’m seeing a lot of people compare the C8 to cars 2-4 times more expensive than it. This thing has the looks and build quality of a supercar at a sports car price. It’s very impressive what Chevy has achieved with this.

2 Likes

@Nick - I am real curious to see it up close. I think they have had the time to get it right, but Chevy has never been known for interior quality.

If they step up on that I think this stands a chance to be the world beating car they always wanted the Corvette to be.

1 Like

NOTHING from Government Motors excites me in the least!

3 Likes

Impressive for the price, much in line with the $4500 or so the base '63 stickered for. Shame about the ugly back end, but I’m sure others will like it. I think the Veyron’s front end is ugly, (and many think the front of my Avanti is, also) so it truly is in the eye of the beholder. Good luck to GM, hope the build quality has improved. I had to chuckle about the dry sump detail. My V6 Cadillac’s goal in life is to be a dry sump engine, like my V6 Buick before it, they both think Mobil1 is a beverage. Both were under $60k :slight_smile:

1 Like

How to kill the reputation of a true sports car…include the fact it can carry 2 golf bags.

4 Likes

Personally, I think a supercar that can carry golf clubs or luggage is awesome. I can’t wait to take a new C8 on a weekend trip with the wife.

7 Likes

The problem will be getting one for anywhere near the “under 60k” price. Dealerships will add on a “market adjustment” of several thousand dollars for at least the first year as demand will be incredibly high. I’d be surprised if you’re able to get a base model for under 70k anytime soon.

1 Like

This car is “Bad” A** Looks fantastic and powerful. I only wish i could get in and out of one

1 Like

MSRP means nothing on a 1st year introduction Corvette. The hype on this has been huge so dealers will add their own markup knowing that some of the loyal fans with $ will pay it.
My guess is the real cost will be in the $90,000 range.

I for one will go on record to congratulate GM. You would have thought that they drove a stake through my heart when they announced the end of the legend. Never thought they could pull off a mid-engine car that I would get excited over. Give it to GM to continue to prove to the Europeans that a true sports car doesn’t have to cost a quarter of a million dollars or more. Not only has GM continued their quest to drive them crazy but also beat them at the track. After the dust settles and all the quick to the market guys get finished overpaying, I’ll be out there looking.

3 Likes

A golf bag has often been the standard for usable real world sports cars. Ferry Porsche put that in the design brief for the original 911. Didn’t seem to kill that car’s reputation. A sports car without a usable trunk is a pretty pointless thing for people who like to actually drive their cars somewhere for pleasure other than to the track or on a dreary daily work commute.

4 Likes

Looks alot to me like the NSX.

It’s a pretty ugly car next to the current generation which has aged remarkably well. At least in base form and in lighter colours like white or yellow it still looks fantastic. This new one will no doubt do well initially, but without a restyle it is in trouble long term. Big numbers and “bargain” prices are great, but if people don’t fall in love with the looks of a car it simply won’t last in the marketplace.

1 Like

Be happy that the government did step in. Had GM gone completely under – the Chinese weren’t going to buy it and neither was anyone else – not only the company itself, but also the suppliers and aftermarket entities would have similarly suffered.

And, after all, it was no less than Reagan who blessed the government bailout of Chrysler, which managed to limp on thereafter until it was purchased by a foreign company. The PT Cruiser and Prowler were economic disasters.

GM corporate had a long reputation of screwing up, building low quality automobiles and far too many models and lines for the market niche it had. The bean counters in GM abandoned way too many itneresting designs too early because the early sales didn’t meet short-term financial goals.

Now, at long last, GM has come up with a “halo” car which, though not all that innovative in basic design, nevertheless shows promise of some really great engineering, with outstanding performance and a price point that is genuinely remarkable. If it doesn’t meet with everyone’s approval, them’s the breaks. They can drive a Prowler, or try to buy a Ford GT instead.

GM paid back its initial loans, the company got restructured and continues to make actual cars, while others are abandoning that market.

There will be no return to the status quo ante - a world with a half dozen GM marques and hundreds of thousands of potential variants. The Market – that final arbiter of economic activity – won’t support that sort of excess any more.

GM was never going to revamp itself. Left to its own devices, the bean counters in GM corporate headquarters would have continued cranking out low-margin cars while other competitors cleaned its clock.

The thinking behind the C8 is a lot better than the thinking behind, say, the C3. There is now an American GT on the streets that can go wheel to wheel with any other car in the world!

Whatever it took to get to this point, I’m in favor of it.

6 Likes

I agree it looks like the NSX.
But I like it.

2 Likes

Probably correct, but that’s not on GM. It’s on dealers who know what they should charge: Whatever the market will bear.

If someone in the market is willing to pay it, then that’s what they should charge. It’s how capitalism works.

It wasn’t so long ago that dealers had that window sticker that said “Additional dealer markup.” Customers were given no option – dealers were just going to charge that. Refusal to pay it seldom resulted in its being eliminated.

So yeah – they will predictably do it again.

1 Like

As a Lamborghini owner, I’m a little nervous…
Kudos to Chevrolet!!! An American supercar…I’m thrilled for our country!!! What an achievement!!! A Chevarri!!! A Lambrolet!!! IMG_3356|666x500

7 Likes

I agree, that’s how capitalism works. GM has done this before. Joe Sixpack goes in thinking he will drive out in a new Corvette with only $800/mo. payments, gets sticker shock, then leaves driving a new Camaro. That Corvette will sit there a month, but it will sell 200 Camaros.
The guy that leaves with the Corvette will be a Doctor, Lawyer, Business mogul, hence the need to bring golf clubs.

As a lifelong Ford guy, this is the very first Corvette that I would consider. It look like a sleeker version of the 2005 Ford GT.
I think Chevrolet and GM did a great job on the design. In a few years when the price settles down this 60k car will be a no brained over a 50k Mustang GT. It will absolutely destroy it any type of performance test.
Ford will have to step up there game to compete with this car.

2 Likes