Hagerty.com

2020 Hagerty Bull Market selection: 1970–76 Porsche 914

The 2020 Hagerty Bull Market list showcases the top vehicles that our valuation experts project will appreciate in the coming year. For the full list of 10 vehicles (and one motorcycle!) click here.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2020/01/15/2020-hagerty-bull-market-selection-1970-76-porsche-914

i drove a really nice '74 914 2.0 back in 1987, looking to buy. what a pos! i ended up with an '86 gen-1 toyota mr2 - a much nicer car in EVERY way. handling, power, comfort, n/v/h; the mr2 KILLS the 914. well, maybe the gen-1 mr2 isn’t as nice looking, but neither are very attractive, imo.

even if the mr2 weren’t an alternative to a low cost mid engine’d car, there’s no way i’d ever own a 914. ever. boggles the brain that people pay serious money for these downright crappy cars.

ymmv,

doug s.

@sedond - To be fair, comparing two cars from over a decade apart is not exactly apples to apples. We all have preferences and goals when it comes to what we want out of our cars. The 914 has its crowd, as does the MR2. No need to call one crappy because it didn’t fit what you wanted out of a car.

sorry, kyle, i stand by my statement. age of the vehicles have nothing to do w/it. i’d take a well sorted fiat x/19 over a 914 any day. yes, the 914 handles well. big deal. it’s also noisy, has a harsh ride, & lethargic acceleration. the 914 - imo - is a crappy car, period. the porsche crowd is entitled to it’s opinion, certainly. i’m also entitled to mine.

ymmv,

doug s.

1 Like