Hagerty.com

25 cars getting no love from classic buyers

It isn’t a good time to be a 1966–68 Mercedes-Benz 250SL, 1984–88 Pontiac Fiero, or 1975–79 Cadillac Seville. Those three models are tied at the bottom of the latest Hagerty Vehicle Rating.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/06/21/25-cars-getting-no-love-from-classic-buyers

The grand 1976 El Dorado Parade Boot Convertible. The so-called last of an era. All 500 cubic inches on rather impressive American engineering and over-the-top styling. This land yacht sailed along like few others in American car history. It offered evidence of a description by the great Hunter S. Thompson – “It corners like a blimp.” This was alleged at the time to be the last of the convertibles, the last of the gas-guzzling tanks, the last piece of mongo mechanics. When GM announced this, there was a rush to buy this car that surely would be a collectible in the future. The last 200 were specially detailed and most put away by people of wealth to await the future frenzy over this beastly thing of beauty. Alas, due partly to that rush to buy, the big beast never really achieved appreciation in the collector world. Even as I write this there is on of the final 200 (Centennial Edition) with only about 10,000 miles, in great (almost perfect) shape, to be bought for about $12,000. I have one of these beauties taking up a large percentage of my real estate. Every now and then I think about selling it. I check the going prices. I get in an take a ride that is so nice that not even Hunter S. Thompson could do it justice. So I keep it as I watch others sell theirs for less than they probably could make by the pound for the metal. A great car, but never achieved status as a collectible…yet.

Perhaps you missed the 1967 Mineral Blue MGB that sold at Barrett.-Jackson last weekend for $28,000! I get that is a high price, but it’s time MGB’S get there due. I just happen to have the same color, same year. MGB’s Best bang for the buck, bar none.

maybe the list is nationwide and hence not reflective of certain sates or neighborhoods… the 1st one on the list, the MGB has been steadily rising over the past 4 yrs… especially the pre '67 ‘metal dash’ cars with even the GT’s making double what they did 15 yrs ago… decent expamples have been changing hands in the 25-30k range recently … Another car not on the list that has been flat for over decade (and is hard to find much choice for sale of you are looking for one) is the Iconic Mk2 3.8 litre Mk2 jaguar… when introduced in '59 it was the fastest stock spec production 4 door sedan on offer ( 125 mph…0-60 in 8.5 sec) and remains the best looking jaguar sedan ever to most who appreciate them… the later ‘420’ (sold here in '67 only) is even less loved… hard to give one of those away for free… and the original Stype remains as unloved as ever, in spite of being a far nicer car to drive then the Mk2 due its its independent rear end and ‘other’ upgrades…

My '62 300 Sport convertible has many performance options plus factory 3 speed on the floor. Try to find out how many of those were made Hagerty.

MGBs may not be loved here, but they are getting a lot of love in Europe and a few other places. MGBs and many other of our beloved little British sports cars have been bought by expediters and packed into shipping containers, and sent away to foreign lands. And generally, the best of 'em were the ones that got sent early on.

fcooney, do you know where I can buy the car you reference for $12k? I’d like to buy it if you would be kind enough to steer me in the right direction. Thanks!

Collector cars are like fashion in so many ways. Cars get hot for awhile then collectors get tired of seeing them. There are now so many classics to choose from tastes can change quickly. Sometimes beautiful '55 T-Bird will be all the rage for collectors. So everyone who has one will jump to sell while the market is hot for that car. Then the market becomes saturated and likewise the price keeps going down. Then all of a sudden a new hot car comes along and so forth the game goes on. Markets are fickle just like 14 year old teenage girls. No matter what you may think will be the next hot collector car, it will fade too like the love life of that teenage girl in the 9th grade.

nberber0524 – couldnt find that one right now, but how about this https://cars.trovit.com/listing/1976-cadillac-eldorado-bicentennial-convertible.13x-ZVi1U6

I’m confused here by the wording of “performing well in the market.” Are we talking stock market as that is where I expect to and have in the past heard those words relate to. If Hagerty is equating the car market with the stock market then count me out. Between high end auction houses and sites like Hagerty the bastardization of the classic car hobby is alive and well. However, what goes up must come down and down it will within 10 years when all the baby boomers start to exit the hobby and exit the planet. Being a relatively early baby boomer I can say that.

The bottom 25 could just be scarce and have found owners… owners not willing to sell. Or they could just be using other insurance companies. Since Hagerty is one of the (if not “THE”) top collector car insurance providers this is a good statistic, but statistics can be misleading. After all, they aren’t making any more of these cars.

As with any ‘stock’. Vehicle ‘stock’ can be a lot more fun, pay good rewards, and you can actually play with your investment………IF you know what you are doing. The vehicles on this list of ‘no interest’ cars is exactly what I would expect. MOST weren’t all that popular when new. MGs were cheap, temperamental pains in the butt. Porches 930 Turbo was cool…until you blow the engine. I have one of the 1976 Eldo Convertibles which has sat in the warehouse the last 20 years because I don’t like it that much. When it comes to value and price of a classic car, there has to be a lot of reminiscing love for it and more demand than there is supply.

They are just too small British unreliable oil leakers, big hulking big 3 cars or just plain ugly. They can be a bargain if you find the one with the big dual quad motor in a lighter body style. Put power steering and power disk brakes in them and you have a fun car.

We purchased an '88 Fiero GT last year. I drove it for a year or so, then decided we really didn’t need it. I’m trying to sell it now, and get lots of calls and texts from people who want it, but they want it for much less than I am asking which is conservatively $2000 less than Hagerty’s valuation guide. Every time I walk out to the garage and look at it I say to her, I guess I’ll just have to keep you, you sweet thing.

I own a 1962 MB 190Sl that underwent a rotisserie restoration 2 years ago. While waiting for the restoration to finish,Hagerty was appraising the value over $220K. Since I had 130K invested,the news couldn’t have been any better. I’ve owned the car since 1980,and NEVER plan to sell,so the loss is only on paper. It appears that everyone that was on a buying frenzy, purchased,and now interest has dropped(hence the low amount of activity),according to Hagerty. I have decided to stop reading articles about dropping value. The MB 230/250/280 were also at a record value and are now tied for “no love”,near the lower end of the scale. I know there are other out there that feel the same as me, and have similar experience. I’d love to hear YOUR stories on the subject.

I find the Hagerty information very interesting. I am not in the market for any of these cars, but it is informative to see the stats. My unwavering belief is, “Drive what gives you fun and pleasure” the heck with the investment potential. That is me !!! That said, I get a lot of inquiry as to what Porsche models, and years are the best investment. I’ve loved the Pre-A cars when you had to pay a hauler to remove it from your shop. Look at them now. That also said, how long will that last. …Jim.

All these cars are awesome but it is really unfortunate perhaps PRICE is the reason and that is why we are providing you with Classic cars and Muscle cars canvas prints at affordable prices.

At least these cars made it to the list. I own a 1966 Ford Galaxie 500 convertible and I’ve never even seen it on the list.

Connaught L2? Researched and only 6 were ever built, and 3 of those were prototypes. Small wonder that there aren’t many owners looking for insurance quotes.

That 1967 Mineral Blue MGB at Barrett was possibly the best example I have ever seen. It was a true flawless restoration. The car lacked only overdrive. It was a nicer car than the one RM had at Amelia. The guy had to have 35k or more in the restoration. I was thinking it should sell for somewhere around 30 to 35 but then it was an MGB. Also being a MGB owner I too feel that they are the best deal on a classic British roaster and make for one of the best first time buyer classics available on the market.