Hagerty.com

25 cars that collectors seem to be ignoring

The Hagerty Vehicle Rating uses insurance activity, auction results, and private sales activity of hundreds of models of classic and modern vehicles in order to determine which vehicles are outperforming the collector car market as a whole. The latest dive into the numbers has revealed that quite a few cars we still consider highly collectible are now finding their way to the bottom of the ranking. What can we take away from this?

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/08/07/cars-that-collectors-seem-to-be-ignoring

A lot of sports cars here. Including English makes. It’s nice to see more interest here. I think it’s too late to include the Sunbeam Alpine. It’s been going up for the last three years. I believe because of the Tiger/Carrol Shelby connection.

Where does the Alfa Giula’s and Berlinas fit in? They seem to bask in the shadow of the 105 coupes.

Not sure how these cars are considered bottom of the list. Does that mean there are fewer being listed for insurance quotes? Would that not translate into rarity? Do I see an upside to owning a super-popular car? Not really.

The Datsun Z’s, the 240, 260 etc. they should be in great demand,

And I had just recently heard the 1967-70 Cougars were really starting to gain a lot of interest and as such, were going up in value. Hmmmmmm. Wonder who is right here.

Wow. I am very surprised with this list . Some of these cars Shock Me. I don’t see the 442 s AMX and Buick GS. I can’t believe any GTO or Shelby that’s overlooked.

Very rarely do you see any year or model Morgan for sale, probably due to them exchanging hands within clubs. This is a hand built beauty with limited production each year and an affordable price, at the moment. I like the late '50s early to mid’60s Plus 4s.Classic British design!

@jeffkl Fewer are being quoted, which we take as an indication of interest, and values are not climbing (or flat) at the same rate as cars higher on the list. I always interpret this on the bright side, which is that you can get a car on the bottom of the list without getting fleeced. Just bear in mind you might only be able to sell it for what you paid.

What happened to the 560SL? Previous lists included it as a separate line item to the 350/380/450s. Hi

They are just lacking appeal.

Ironically I am in the final stage of a one year full restoration on my 1975 Mercedes 450SL. I love these cars! Putting it at number 1 is more than likely due to the considerable number still on the road and the simple fact that the R107 was nearly identical in form for 18 years. As more head to the junk yard due to “lack of interest” it is great news for me and the other owners who are preserving these fantastic cars.

This is a list of cars that people my age (70) have always dreamed of having. Values are going down because younger people are interested in newer cars, the cars they dreamt about when they were 20.

Not sure the writer of this article knows what he/she is talking about. From what I have seen (attending at least 5 collector car auctions a year as a bidder and then watching countless hours of them on youtube and TV) 2nd Generation GTO’s are hotter than a firecracker, as are anything Ford that says Shelby on the side of it. All air cooled Porsches are also popular, and I have seen an uptick in popularity in Pagoda Mercedes roadsters and first generation Mercury Cougars. All 1970-1980s Ferraris have jumped up tremendously in value over the past 5 years especially anything that looks like something Magnum PI or Crockett and Tubbs would drive. The author could have saved themselves lots of time and made the list a lot shorter if they just stated that ALL Oldsmobiles were underloved, and they flirted with being called “Captain Obvious” when they listed 4th Generation Corvettes (they will go down in history as the worst Corvettes ever). Porsche 928s will suffer the same fate because of their similar complexity. About the only thing I have noticed that has not been previously discussed before this article is the seemingly strange unpopularity of first generation Ford Thunderbirds… The author is spot on here…Not sure what the problem is: maybe the fact that large American Males like myself can’t fit in them, or maybe they are not butch enough for the muscle car/pickup truck crowd… either could a reason for their lack luster current appeal.

I love this! I just bought a '78 Mercedes 450SL last month and now I see it’s #1! Well, it’s been #1 in my eyes for the last 40 years!

Either I’m missing something or there are a lot cars being sold for lots of money that apparently aren’t very popular.

Not a word on Jaguars Iconic Mk2 sedan…still remains one of my all time favorites and great ‘bang for the buck’ as they have ALWAYS been… which lived up to its image of ‘grace space and pace’…and a car that will still hold its own with many moderns as fellas that opulent interior with burr walnut, leather and woolcloth . As others have commented…a good portion of the cars listed here are open 2 seaters or ‘sports cars’… the 105 series Alfa sedans got a mention … well advanced cars for their time with excellent performance and handling to match … just as sporting to drive as the 2 seater versions…I well recall booking a ‘sports car’ to rent when visiting Rome in the early '70s… I took the keys and found rather boxy 4 door sedan in the designated place… went back to the rental ask and asked if there was a ‘mistake’… ‘drive it’ was the response… a real game changer for me… it was an Alfa Guilia TI sedan… perhaps one of the most fun 2 week driving adventures I’d had up to that date…

I think a lot is changing in terms of what’s hot. So much goes in to what it is we like. Influence from an older generation is huge. For me it was my older neighbors bright orange 340 dart or pictures of my dad’s 2+2 421 Pontiac, 40’ Ford, 56 Vette. My uncle’s Tr3. All long gone before me. Their talk about hot rods and super stock drag racing is what motivated me and why I’ve owned a 65’ Belvedere for 28 years. I’m 46. My tastes are definitely of an older generation. The new gen want muscle cars from fast and furious. They want hellcats and exotic sports cars. Old to them is the 80’s. Granted there will be few who have the tastes we speak of, but not many. And in a few years even less. A true mucle car, or any “significant” car for that matter will always bring the money, but clones and nice driver’s I’m not so sure. The times they are a changin’ and the new generation doesn’t like what we do…and maybe that’s ok. It will be fun to watch what becomes popular. Agree or not.

Two autos always overlook but have great performance, iconic looks and reliability:
Mitsubishi Eclipse
Lexus SCs
SC300 & SC400

Triumph TR7 and TR8 prices still low