Hagerty.com

25 cars that collectors seem to be ignoring

I’m not sure I understand this list. GT 350? Have you seen the money they sell for? If people are not checking the valuations it’s because they know they can’t afford it.

Yeah, I remember the early “Z” series well and I considered myself to be a professional tracker once each model year became 4 years old. Especially at our work parking lot where once you identified the unique rust spot each “Z” left behind, you could easily follow their movements around the community.

The 260 Z was the most fun though because after 4 years, you could usually find those trapped by the fallen rust pile that accumulated when they were parked nightly. One of my buddies failed to get any consideration from the dealer, he had a wood sign shaped like a tombstone stuck in the ground next to the Z that said “RUST IN PIECEs”

I believe one reason Mercedes 380,450 and 560 are not selling is as they age the fuel systems are a nightmare to keep up and cost a small fortune if you can find anyone to work on them. Collectors want a car that will run and is reliable. The 560sl is NOT reliable. Younger collectors don’t want to deal with that.

There are many beauties not on this list, but I understand the list would grow. Remember Mongoose and Snake? Let’s throw in #26 Plymouth Duster 1970-1973 and keep in mind the true Muscle Car generation goes from 1964-1972.

I keep waiting for either my 62 Falcon Country Squire wagon or 65 Buick GS convertible to show up on one of these lists. Fun list though.

Enjoy it! They are awesome cars! If you want OE parts however, get with Mercedes right away. During my restoration and hundreds of parts later, I was told three of those parts were the last of their kind in inventory. Hopefully that will indicate to Mercedes that more need to be manufactured.

If I had some spare cash, I would jump on a 1966 Toronado or a 1966 Charger. I recently saw one of each in a boneyard just south of Parson, British Columbia. I had forgotten just how special the first Toronado was until my brother-in-law traded for one a few years back and spurred me to do some research. He was in over his head and passed it along. Jeers to Jay Leno for converting his to rear wheel drive. I grew up in the 1970’s loving the Bullitt/Dom Toretto Chargers but have come to appreciate the first generation as well.

I can only assume the “collectors” who are ignoring these cars are the speculators who spur auction records and not those of us who aspire to own the special cars of our youth. If I win the lottery maybe I will be able to afford a modern classic.

Is this list based on a model that includes unsold auction lots? Insurance quote activity is but one factor.

I am agreeing with a previous poster questioning why the Shelby GT350 is on this list. Just for starters, there is a limited number of real Shelby cars in the Shelby Registry; and as an owner of a 1969 GT350 myself, I can tell you that few are for sale.
Also, almost every major car auction these days “Features” a Shelby GT350 or GT500 as one of the premier cars to be auctioned for sale. And while I have seen a few sell for less than market prices; one has to question if the car is actually in the Shelby Registry and has supporting paperwork from Shelby Motors and a Marti Report.
I do know from actual experience, that I am approached at cruise-ins and car shows fairly often and asked if I’m considering selling. So I’m sure there is plenty of real interest out there.

I believe many factors are causing this. If I can use myself as an example the older I get the less I want to continue working on vintage British sports cars. I have owned many late model bj8 Austin Healeys and now I am very content to have very reasonably priced BMW Z4 coupe as my current toy. Amazing lines, great build quality, a good factory sound however nothing will beat the sound of a healey at speed. Low production number and rare enough that you never see another on the road or in car shows. I believe these cars are way under valued which is fine by me.