Hagerty.com

4 cheap and simple tricks to ward off would-be car thieves, according to you

SOOO so true!
(smile)

It was in deed…
Most definitely.

Sorry if my English is not flawless, I am from Holland.
Be careful when interrupting the ignition. If the engine is started for a long time without ignition, the exhaust will fill with gasoline.
This evaporates in the outlet so that a large cloud of vapor is created there. If the owner resolves the interruption and wants to start, the gas in the exhaust can explode and completely destroy the exhaust (or even worse the catalyst).

Live (or at least keep your collector cars) on a small island where everyone knows who should be driving your car and where the ferrymen wouldn’t let a stranger on with your car without checking with you. Or better yet … and island with no ferry.

See? And it’s never been stolen! :smiley:

@peter.schalker
Your English is fine Peter. And welcome.
I agree up to a point with your caution, but in the video, they are stopping fuel delivery by putting the switch at the fuel pump relay…that’s why it won’t start. And in my post regarding placing an interruption at the clutch safety switch, the starter is disabled and it won’t crank at all.

The Queen Mary also has a manual transmission, that can’t hurt.

My dad was a small business owner, he always said locks keep the honest people honest, if someone wants to steal from you, they will. All of these deterrents will keep the casual thief or joy ridding teenager from taking your car, but if a pro wants your car, they will get it.

I have a kill switch on my 78 corvette, goes through the fire wall and is in the wiper well, you can just slide your hand down between the hood and the windshield and flip it on or off.

I guess I am too much of a cheapskate to have valet parking attendants steal my ride =)

Bummer for your client, though.

Kyle

Jim-R # my reaction was meant for the person who wanted to switch off the ignition. This is not a good idea, not even by removing the ignition coil cable. The ignition coil will remain controlled. The voltage in the ignition coil can then rise to such a degree that spark flashing takes place and the ignition coil breaks. Shutting off the fuel supply is a good idea. For those with a mechanical pump, the solution is to mount an electrically controlled valve as used in cars with an LPG installation. Do mount on the pressure side otherwise the pump’s burr will break in a short time because it will be dry.

Your solution works great Jim.
Finally, the person who argues that a professional thief will get the car is right, if necessary on a truck.

A funny attempt of stealing a bike by owner ; Back, many years ago I had a “69” BSA Bobber, when leaving the local watering-hole . I got about 2 blocks away and the bike just died, I sat there for about 1/2 hour kicking it over, nothing. My friend came by, stopped to help. I said it won’t start, he got on it, 2 min. latter the bike running. He look at me, laughing said next time turn on the gas petcock’s. About a month latter, same watering-hole, leaving, bike started great. Put it in gear, went about a foot and fell over, did this 3 or 4 times. My brother and girlfriend sitting in the car watching me, he gets out and said try taking the lock off your chain. Lesson learn the hard way !

Too many posts to read them all, but if no one else said it, pulling the coil wire is useless. If the thief has half a brain, all he will do is replace it with a spark plug wire and drive away with one less cylinder. I know this works fine because back in the dark ages, someone swiped the coil wire on my '55 Buick.

1 Like

1972 El Camino. Had it sitting at a shop to get worked on the next morning. Didn’t get it all found until almost a year later found the motor on craigslist did a sting with the police but still took another 7 months to recover the rest of the car. Problem is a pair of pliers or a screwdriver and thieves are off and running…

'03 Porsche tt & C2 are parked next to my dog pen, enuf said! I take the dd older Buick on everyday errands.

Choice, choices… Do I stand out all night and day with my gun protecting my car or live a normal life… hmmmm, golly, life is hard!

It’s called manslaughter in most states.

I never said it was “loaded” !!
(wink/grin)

Reassured by what seems to be the majority with common sense and proper values. The subject of deadly force came up previously in another thread some time back. But it seemed I was in the minority then. I understand ‘tongue-in-cheek bravado’ when it comes to protecting our special cars. I don’t understand ‘blow-hard dip-sh#*t’.

All of these ideas assume that the thief doesn’t want to damage or car, or will be scared off by the noise from an alarm. I can assure you, back when I was working in Oakland it was a common sight to see a car being towed down the street on the back of a tow truck or flatbed, alarm blaring. No wheels? no problem - just drag the car onto a flatbed with a winch - who cares if it damages the suspension, nobody buys used suspension parts anyway. My experience as a claims adjuster was that stolen cars were usually dismantled for parts and the carcass left by the side of the road. And it wasn’t unusual to recover a Honda that only had one part missing, usually a door, which made it obvious that someone needed a particular part and went street shopping for it. If, as often happened, the car was stolen to be used in a crime it was later abandoned and burned to eliminate fingerprints and DNA. A lot of high performance cars were stolen to be used in sideshows and then abandoned. Valuable cars that were kept intact were usually put in a cargo container and shipped overseas to a country where they weren’t fussy about registration. At one time there was a cottage industry of stealing 65 - 67 Mustangs and shipping them to Saudi Arabia.