Hagerty.com

4 cheap and simple tricks to ward off would-be car thieves, according to you

Those that steal valuable antique cars are usually quite familiar with their specific wiring layout, and can easily recognize (and bypass) DIY juryrigged ignition cutouts. Old cars typically have mechanical fuel pumps & very simple wiring, and can be readily ‘hot-wired’/started, bypassing the ignition switch. Since my old Ford has overdrive, I merely spliced into the OEM/stock wire from the coil that grounds it to the kick-down floor switch, thereby maintaining the ‘unaltered’ appearance of the engine compartment wiring. The toggle switch is VERY well hidden (up above the steering column, way under the dash), and since I have several more visible/unlabeled ones that operate various aftermarket functions, a car thief would likely get thoroughly confused trying them all one at a time, and hopefully give up.

My uncle done the same trick before. All thieves who tried failed.

Reminds me of my university days in the 1960s!. A fellow in our car pool had a Riley 1.5 - a car well known for constant loosening of the steering wheel. He used this built-in “security feature” by taking the steering wheel to classes with him. The wheel graduated magna cum laude.

That’s true. I use the “Club” on the steering wheel of my collector when I’m out and about. I’ve been ribbed about it by well meaning friends and co-workers who love to inform me that the steering wheel can be cut with bolt cutters, the club will shatter after being frozen with a can of freon and a hammer, yada yada… Once, at work, one of the workers that worked out int the shop overheard this conversation. He came to me later and told me to continue to use the Club. He went on to inform me that he had gone to prison for grand theft auto. He said thieves are and were looking for easy marks.

When you are a high schooler and you washed a lot of dished to buy your prized car, things are different. I do not propose anyone ride shotgun over their car at night nowadays. I would not really want to shoot anyone over a stupid inanimate object, either. As a senior citizen adult today with resources, I park my collector inside a locked and alarmed shop when possible and in the courtyard otherwise. Outside of that, I pay Hagerty my premium and then do diligence to keep my ride. There isn’t one thing anyone on this forum can propose that true professional car thieves don’t know about as far as kill switches, etc.

1 Like

Somebody mentioned the Bond ejector seat…

But, in my teenage years, I remember seeing in a Bond movie a guy trying to steal a car that was rigged by a car bomb.

when the bomb went off, it kind of stuck in my mind that it (a car bomb) could be the ultimate anti-theft device.

Certainly not simple, and not very cost-effective. Pretty sure any insurer wouldn’t cover such a device.

Of course, in the movie, since somebody was trying to steal the car, he ended up doing Bond or some other spy a favor by setting off that car bomb early…

All of that being said, in modern, 20th century vehicles with airbags, they already have explosives in them… Perhaps, leverage airbag deployments to trap the thief in the car somehow? That would be kind of funny.

Kyle

Quicker way is to let the air out of all 4 tires (don’t forget to let the air out of the spare tire too) & when you come back to the car, call AAA & tell them you need them to pump air back into your tires!!

My triple a only covers 3 visits a year.

Kyle

For less than the cost of breakfast in NYC, you can pick up a 12volt remote transmitter/ receiver on ebay to install in series with the coil Hot feed to cut off power to the coil, no toggle switch necessary. (Use the same coil wire to feed power to the unit and feed the common of the relay)

Pro: works well if a carjacker pulls you out of the car as long as you keep the remote separate from the car keys. Auto Reset’s to disable every time the key is turned off.

Cons: like any remote key fob, possibility of accidentally hitting the button while driving. (Still trying to figure a solution to that)

I had a guy walk up to me in my’68 Cougar at a stop light with the aggressive look of bad intentions and took his hand off my door handle immediately when he noticed the business end of my 9mm. Not bold talk. Just a fact. I don’t know if it prevented further stupidity out of him, but it most certainly changed his mind about taking what wasn’t his in my case. That’s the beauty of anti carjacking laws. Your car is an extension of your home.

To all of those who are pouncing on this guy for having the audacity to carry a weapon. GROW UP!!!

1 Like

Oh Pullease.
Big difference between robbery and theft. And decades in my previous life tells me two things…he didn’t know the difference, and you THINK you’re better at telling stories than you really are.
I have no issue with CCW…unless it’s being done by blow-hards trying to cure their insecurity.

I wasn’t trying to pick an internet warrior/political meeting of the minds, I was trying to illustrate the fact that everybody pounced on this guy for announcing that he keeps his car from being stolen by way of a gun. By the way, do you think the guy who tried to get into my car was trying to rob me, or get my car? With all of the carjackings here in Metro Atlanta, I would argue that it was the car he was after.

By the way, I never claimed to be a wordsmith. That being said, I noticed that you are no Mark Twain yourself. And if you didn’t have a problem with this guy using his gun or CCW, then why make a derogatory comment to him at all? I would go as far as to state the you and the rest who deemed it necessary to be one big collective douche bag to this guy probably DO have an issue with it. As far as insecurity goes, there are plenty of those guys (the ones who deem it necessary to “show off” their gun to impress anyone within eye/ear shot). I just don’t happen to be one to subscribe to that way of thinking. I just am smart enough to pay attention to the news and realize that although I can take care of myself physically, only being able to pull out a fist when the guy who is coming at you is brandishing a firearm is not a thought I feel like entertaining in the real world.

Now, good day to you Mr. Koontz.

^Sure sounded like you were.

“And by the way” I didn’t re-read all the posts since then, but I think I was the only one who “pounced”. And it was because his post suggested using a gun to prevent a theft made any kind of sense. It does not legally or morally. And “by the way” you told your story…I think it’s just that.
:wave:

I never claimed to have not “told my story”. The bottom line is I lived it and used it to illustrate that it actually makes a little more sense than you are willing to concede. Whether you choose to believe it or not is completely up to you. I really don’t care as you don’t represent enough of a consequence in my life to make me care as to whether or not you like me, or my life experiences. Much less whether or not you enjoy those experiences.

I apologize for not bowing to the “stick by which everything is measured” that you so obviously consider yourself to be.

Now is there anything else, or am I going to be forced to read that you’ve declared yourself king?

With that said, I am through justifying any further comments you have. Good day to you.

1 Like