Hagerty.com

4 cheap and simple tricks to ward off would-be car thieves, according to you

Those that steal valuable antique cars are usually quite familiar with their specific wiring layout, and can easily recognize (and bypass) DIY juryrigged ignition cutouts. Old cars typically have mechanical fuel pumps & very simple wiring, and can be readily ‘hot-wired’/started, bypassing the ignition switch. Since my old Ford has overdrive, I merely spliced into the OEM/stock wire from the coil that grounds it to the kick-down floor switch, thereby maintaining the ‘unaltered’ appearance of the engine compartment wiring. The toggle switch is VERY well hidden (up above the steering column, way under the dash), and since I have several more visible/unlabeled ones that operate various aftermarket functions, a car thief would likely get thoroughly confused trying them all one at a time, and hopefully give up.

My uncle done the same trick before. All thieves who tried failed.

Reminds me of my university days in the 1960s!. A fellow in our car pool had a Riley 1.5 - a car well known for constant loosening of the steering wheel. He used this built-in “security feature” by taking the steering wheel to classes with him. The wheel graduated magna cum laude.

That’s true. I use the “Club” on the steering wheel of my collector when I’m out and about. I’ve been ribbed about it by well meaning friends and co-workers who love to inform me that the steering wheel can be cut with bolt cutters, the club will shatter after being frozen with a can of freon and a hammer, yada yada… Once, at work, one of the workers that worked out int the shop overheard this conversation. He came to me later and told me to continue to use the Club. He went on to inform me that he had gone to prison for grand theft auto. He said thieves are and were looking for easy marks.

When you are a high schooler and you washed a lot of dished to buy your prized car, things are different. I do not propose anyone ride shotgun over their car at night nowadays. I would not really want to shoot anyone over a stupid inanimate object, either. As a senior citizen adult today with resources, I park my collector inside a locked and alarmed shop when possible and in the courtyard otherwise. Outside of that, I pay Hagerty my premium and then do diligence to keep my ride. There isn’t one thing anyone on this forum can propose that true professional car thieves don’t know about as far as kill switches, etc.

1 Like

Somebody mentioned the Bond ejector seat…

But, in my teenage years, I remember seeing in a Bond movie a guy trying to steal a car that was rigged by a car bomb.

when the bomb went off, it kind of stuck in my mind that it (a car bomb) could be the ultimate anti-theft device.

Certainly not simple, and not very cost-effective. Pretty sure any insurer wouldn’t cover such a device.

Of course, in the movie, since somebody was trying to steal the car, he ended up doing Bond or some other spy a favor by setting off that car bomb early…

All of that being said, in modern, 20th century vehicles with airbags, they already have explosives in them… Perhaps, leverage airbag deployments to trap the thief in the car somehow? That would be kind of funny.

Kyle