Hagerty.com

4 garage projects you can start right now

Statewide calls for folks to shelter at home are increasing—and for good reason. Idle hands are the devil’s workshop, though, so we put together this list of projects based on input from the Hagerty Forums that can keep you busy with some automotive-related tasks.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2020/03/24/garage-projects-you-can-start-right-now
1 Like

Kyle this is a really good and timely article. It gave me some ideas, I need to clean and organize for sure. Then rebuild the carburetors and get the Lakewood back on the road! Thanks for the great read.

1 Like

@corvairownersgroup - So much organization to be done. I take joy in a high functioning shop, which to me means impeccably clean and organized. Sometimes this means spending an evening cleaning instead of making project progress. It’s a hard sell for some folks.

Get those Rochesters done and enjoy that Lakewood!

Last weekend I “started” the final stages of garage organizing and promised myself I will finish it up this weekend. The goal: no box unopened and nothing left on the workbench come Sunday night.

1 Like

Since it’s still a bit too cold and raw here in the Northeast to be out in the garage or laying on the floor or driveway, I vote for the ‘research’ project, as well as going through all my files to sort and organize by vehicle type and year/model. Found some great material to read that I forgot I even had tucked away in that file cabinet and book case.

I’ve been cleaning and organizing also, best idea is to get rid of anything around that you haven’t used in the last year or so, needless ‘junk’ that’s only in the way, get rid of it so you have nice easy work space. Maybe add a new light or two, seeing well always helps.
Maybe put in that needed wall outlet, or get a new stone on the grinder or wire wheel. I’m out there every day doing something on the Model A, replaced some grease fittings yesterday, not much but it’s steady progress, do something on your car every day.

Warren

1 Like

#4. I see a late model Corvair shop manual. Thanks for the reminder to put it on my lift.

1 Like

Love the bucket o’ bolts suggestion, I bet every workshop has at least one. It’s surprisingly rewarding dumping and sorting one! Try it and see :slight_smile: It’ll take less time than you expect.

i’ve checked air and fluids on the MGA, MGB, F-150 and Jeep Grand Cherokee. Now it’s clean up this full garage because it’s 85 degrees outside now and time to crank up and GO!..if it wasn’t for this lock down we’re all facing!

As soon as this God forsaken frozen wasteland of MI. thaws, we can go outside, and life is worth living again, I look forward to all this.

Time to also get all the unused auto items in my garage together for a spring swap meet. Will
help de-clutter the garage.

I always appreciate the timely advice and articles that Hagerty provides. Although I might have missed something in the past, I wonder if you can give advice on how to rodent proof your classic for the winter. I’ve tried numerous things, from moth balls to peppermint oil, bounce dryer sheets to glue and regular spring traps. I recently sealed all the holes I could find and added weatherstripping on the sides of the door as well as the bottom. I would appreciate any further advice you can give, as I’m contemplating selling my car due to the damage these pests can cause. I have it pretty much under control, but not 100%. Help!

1 Like

I rebuilt the AAV for my car’s D-Jectronic fuel injection system, but imagine my horror as Ingrid cranked, backfired then nothing, no fuel pump, no crank, no idiot lights. Yes, it’s something electric. Off to the D-Jet troubleshooting guide. Well, as they said in the booklet, check the grounds. And I found corrosion on both the negative ground from the battery AND the positive battery to starter, which powers everything else. Disconnected those terminals, polished them well and put them back together with Ox-Gard Anti-Oxidant Compound, finally following the ancient recommendation of a friend.
Ingrid ran again! So I took a celebratory drive. :smiley:

Had so many things in my garage waiting for the right time. My 68 Mustang Fastback finally got new motor mounts, power steering hoses, and headers. Need to bleed those brakes next. Now waiting for an exhaust shop.

I see on your workbench the exact set of inexpensive taps and dies I have. Decades old but ideal for cleaning up those old rusty and cruddy bolts and nuts. I use new high grade fasteners for critical components but get satisfaction from reusing the cleaned up old ones when I can.

Not much social distancing being practiced in that Tiger under dash shot!

This a great article, I bought new tool storage and finally have everything organized in one place, also took on water pump repair and new fuel lines to fuel pump. Now ready to start driving, have one more small job but got a good jump on things.

I had already taken your advise of a relatively big project and pulled the dual temperature/oil pressure gauge in my XK120 for rebuild and reinstall. It is stuck at a rebuild shop that is in a state that is shutdown. Oh well start organizing the workshop.

It’s cold here in PA – but I’m going simple, taking the cover off my ride and just detailing. Getting ready for spring another simple thing to do.

Since this virus hit our state and being 72, we have been staying home and only venturing out for vittles. So, with our fleet of Mopars sitting in their respective garages, I decided to organize parts and fasteners for future endeavors. Also, I plan on detailing the vehicles for upcoming car shows - particularly in the fall - since many of them have been rescheduled or cancelled. We’re all in this together and God will get us through it. Gear heads rule.