Hagerty.com

5 special editions that turbocharge the value of your collector car

A few weeks ago, we asked members of the Hagerty Forum to provide us with their favorite terrible special edition cars. No doubt, there were plenty of awful options to choose from, generating more than 50 replies in the discussion. It seems the common theme tying these automotive blunders together was there was too much focus on silly tricks or styling gimmicks and not enough attention was paid to what buyers were actually looking for.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/02/21/5-best-special-edition-cars

That’s a photo of a CJ-5, not a CJ-7.

@craigforrest - Thanks for noticing and letting us know. We are fixing the photo now.

Firehawk?! The original 91-92 models are 50-60k, with the best going for closer to 100k. The 93-02 and 95-97 Comp T/As are easily 40-50% more than a regular Formula or T/A.

I paid for the Firehawk option and the SLP Engineering option for the stainless steel exhaust on my 94, but doubt if it did much for its resale today. What it did do was a lot for my fun to drive quotient. To this day I love to stand back and admire this “arrest me red” car.

The 69 Pace cars were offered in coupe form(z10), not just conv.

Who would vote a GT 40 in Gulf blue as a tacky option?
I don’t care if it was 1/2 primer half Mary Kay pink you can’t make a Ford GT bad I’m sorry.

Galpin Ford in California has a new GT in the showroom right now (Sold by the way) in this same attire posing as the number 9 car. So some people still want this scheme and are willing to pay dearly for it.

The Hagerty Valuation tool currently values my 95 at nearly 20k, but a regular Formula is 8-10k everything else being equal, so I would say it helps the resale for sure (though I didn’t buy it for resale 4 yrs ago, nor do I plan to sell anytime soon).

How about the Starsky & Hutch Gran Torino made by Ford in 1976? Definitely not the fastest car but draws a crowd everywhere it goes.

that jeep is a cj7 the cj5 had an s shape at the bottom rear of the doors

The 1969 Camaro Pace Car is a pretty car. Another rare pace car that is rarely mentioned is the 1964 1/2 Mustang Pace Car Replica. The public couldn’t even order one. The cars were part of a dealer competition. Approximately 190 cars were built and awarded to dealers. More information about the cars and a photo of the ceremony where dealers were awarded the cars is below. Only a few of these cars still exist. I was lucky enough to find one a few years ago. The individual who I purchased the car from didn’t know it was a pace car replica since the decals were no longer on the car.

1964 Mustang Pace Car Replicas
https://themustangsource.com/pacecar/64/index.htm

1 Like

Since I’m local to Indy, I know a little bit more about the Indy livery than others…

The local dealerships have to consider the Indy livery as “advertising” and leaving those decals on actually allows them to grab an extra $200 or so from you, so not surprising that some 64.5 Pace Car Mustangs had their decals removed…

It should also be stated that the “Indy 500” livery wasn’t only applied to pace cars; but also “official cars” which weren’t pace cars, but still used during that season’s race for official purposes. Hence, you may have even been able to find a truck with the “Indy 500” livery on it.

Always a fan of the Indy livery, though.

They used to let you take your ride on the track during Fan appreciation day in May… I’m hoping to get Herbie up for it, if not, then definitely the boy’s corvair, although somebody already took a Corvair around that legendary track for a spin about 6 years ago, the video is on YouTube, I think.

Special editions I’m interested in (that may not be worth anything extra)

Gulf Bug (because VW)
Actual Herbie from actual Disney movie (these actually have gone up in value recently, so this livery style could actually be worth money.)
Mexican taxi style Vw Bug (might actually detract from value =) )
And
German Police Style Vw Bug… I know a guy who has one of these.
(of course, you’ve seen a trend here, I’m sure…)

Most VW water-cooled nuts will point out the “Harlequin” Golf/Rabbit…
DDB actually ran an advertisement that predated the “Harlequin” Golf/Rabbit models by at least a decade, illustrating out the interchangeable parts nature of the iconic beetle.

The 69 Camaro pace car may be the most widely optioned of the Indy cars pushing values all over the map. Built in two plants, Norwood and Van Nyes. Even that adds to the mix because Van Nyes cars did not have a Z11 or Z10 (coupe) tag. 350CI auto and manual, 396CI (manual and auto) 325 hp, 350 hp and 375 hp, even aluminum heads. A/C was available, you could even get a column shift bench seat car! The L78 (375 hp) is the rarest, and no known production numbers exists. The only clue is general BB vs SB builds. About 10% BB, and 25% of that L78, so less than 100 .

@craigforrest @ Kyle That is a CJ7 with a soft top, a CJ5 has a hump in the door, the CJ5 does not have a square bottom door. Trust me, I’ve had a few.

They had a picture of a CJ5 up earlier, they have since corrected it, so yes it is now a CJ7.

A Ford GT 40?? Who can afford that? You can probably buy all of the other 4 for the price of that one!

Ford’s small block in '68 was a 302 the 289 cubic incher was discontinued

Hang on. I don’t want to start any trouble but the Golden Eagle Jeep pictured is a CJ-7. The door well is rounded and had more length due to the extended wheel base. The CJ5 door well was curved to match up with the rear wheel well due to the shorter wheel base. Not a big deal by any means but I am certain we are striving for accuracy.
JP

Sorry, sports fans. I didn’t look far enough down to realize this was already addressed
JP

@jphiggins3 - No problem, it happens!