Hagerty.com

5 tips to whip your vintage car into driving shape this spring

Spring is arriving, which means it is high time to get our cars ready for another driving season. Whether diving into show prep or getting ready for road trips, every car needs a bit of attention to come out of storage and make sure spring starts off on the right foot. To make sure your car is ready for driving season, here are five tips you need to know.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/04/11/tips-to-get-your-car-in-driving-shape

Seriously, if you don’t know to do these things you should be riding a bicycle. I usually enjoy these articles but this one was just someone’s idea of filler.

Right on. Didn’t even see anything about checking fluids.

While experienced automotive hobbyists may find this article a bit lacking, I would like to point out that we are not the only ones purchasing insurance from Hagerty.
There are many new enthusiasts joining the hobby and this may be their first post winter startup. The writer of the article may have assumed a couple points as obvious such as checking the fluids but did cover some serious safety checks. No one wants to run their fluids low but I would much prefer that to not being able to stop.
To the naysayers I say, get over yourself.
To the newbies I say, Welcome to the hobby!

1 Like

I only use non ethanol gasoline treated with Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment Concentrate, Seafoam, Marvels Mystery Oil, Stabil. etc) since I seldom drive it during the winter. I am also replacing the carburetor with a fuel injection system (I am using a Holley) which will solve a lot of problems.

When checking the brake pedal, I would use a whole lot more than normal pressure. I’d suggest using the someone just pulled out in front of me, press the pedal as hard as you can, panic stop pressure. If a steel or flexible line has deteriorated over the winter, it will show up when pressure is the highest.
I would also check the pedal with only very light pressure on the pedal. This is likely to detect a weak master or wheel cylinder, by slowly moving toward the floor. High pedal pressure tends to press the seals outward and cause them to stop leaking.

1 Like

I agree checking all fluid levels is an important first step but these are good tips for anyone interested in joining the hobby or starting their car after their first winter storage. Tire pressure is also very important, it can reveal a slow leak or other tire problems that may not seem obvious just by looking. Checking windshield wipers, window, door, hood and trunk operation is also easy and good insurance should you notice a problem. Most are easy to fix if caught early.
The “KISS” method is never a bad thing even for those of us who have been in the hobby for along time.

Everything aforementioned is certainly important, but don’t forget to not only check tire pressure, but also tire condition. Bulges or cracks in sidewalls must not be ignored. And check the tire’s date of manufacture. It’s easy to forget your tires might be getting old even though they have lots of tread left.