Hagerty.com

5 unexpected places you can score a sweet classic

Buying a car can be the second largest investment of a person’s life, yet some people don’t search nearly hard enough for a good deal. That’s especially true when it comes to classic cars, which can be sold in any number of places—not just dealerships, as with new cars. If you are shopping for a new-to-you ride, here are five spots to look outside of general auctions, Craigslist, and dealer lots.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/06/13/unexpected-places-to-score-a-sweet-classic

I just sold my ‘57 Chevy at a Wednesday night cruise. You price it right, they swarm like bees around it. I sold it on the first day. I’ve also shopped at cruises and car shows. There are a couple that I considered over priced that are still for sale since last year. Had they been reasonable, I could’ve been driving one of them.

2 Likes

There are usually cars for sale at swap meets.

Car show in downtown Ft.Myers on a Sunday afternoon. Guy walks up, as I’m getting set up my 1967 MGB ,and asks if ,“I have the for sale sign with me?”. He didn’t see the inside of my trunk where INDEED my for sale signs were.
We went on a short drive and on a drive and he put a deposit in my hands.

I bought my 77 Towne Coupe at a local Sunday car cruise

Allow extra time to pause when you go on a trip, I have found a number of nice cars and good deals by just paying attention the country side. Jim

When I decided to buy a Corvair, I first joined the local Corvair club, and asked if anyone had one for sale. Within a month, I had the car of my dreams, along with a terrific support group.

2 Likes

I bought my 300E after meeting the then owner at a IHOP parking lot. LTD wagon - home estate auction; Electra 225 - local “traders” newspaper; 300CE - local Craigslist; Ranchero - back row used car lot; Corvair - fellow car club member; Caballero - neighbor’s driveway. Be aware; the cars are out there.

Talked to a guy who had a 70’s cutlass convertible, a hard top, and a Camero got em all at his local bail bonds guy.

Canada is the place to look. Specifically British Columbia. Low Canadian dollar and no rust on the coast. Importing is easy too.