Hagerty.com

50 years later and the car is still ours

50 years later, it is still in the family!
Year was 1967. We had a 1965 Mustang that was tired. Parents got the car when I turned 17. It had some HARD miles on it! Time for a new one. Back then, if you wanted to buy a car, you had to go to a dealership. If you wanted a good deal, you had to go to several dealerships. My father did not have the time or the inclination to do that. In steps his 19 year old son.

Went to 5 Ford dealers in the Phila area. 4 were smart enough to talk to me. Got the best deal I could on a 1967, convertible Mustang with a 289 4 BBl and 4 speed trans. I ordered the car, my father agreed to pay for it. This may sound strange, but we were replacing a 1965 convertible Mustang with a 289 2 BBL and 3 speed trans. Obviously my parents followed a different drummer than most middle class suburbanites.

The car was in my parents garage until sometime in the mid 80’s. For reasons that I have never understood, my father gave the car to my sister. The fact that she had more money and could better take care of the car probably had something to do with it, but I still was pissed. At one point, I visited her house to see leaves all over the car in her open garage with tools leaning up against it. I wrote the car off.

She gave the car to one of her adopted kids, which pissed her son off so much he called me to ask what he had done wrong. Calmly explained that I did not have a clue other than she had my father’s genes.

Fast forward to 2015, I get a phone call from my sister asking me if I wanted the car. Now, I had offered her and her husband $10,000 for the car sometime in the early 2000’s, but they had to #1 get clear title and #2 deliver the car to my house. They declined. So now, it was free if I wanted to pick it up from a parking garage in Phila.

I had not physically seen the car in many years and had no idea what to expect. Taking my sister’s word for its condition would be a longer shot than a lottery ticket. I know the owner of a local towing co, so we took off one morning in search of the “lost” Mustang. Get to the garage and knew better that to even try and start it. There was a tarp covering the car. Under the tarp was lots of city dirt and grime. We were lucky, the car was on the 1st level up, we could push it down to the street level. Tow truck did not fit under the parking garages door, so it was half sticking out into the street of a questionable neighborhood. The kid who had it had used his bike tire pump to put some air in the tires which was a good thing for us. Load the car up, get the title and get the hell out of Dodge as they say.

I have known, and used for all of our car needs a local mechanic who worked at the local Ford dealership for years. Before that, he worked for Ford at their Mahwah plant. His quick assessment was that we had maybe not hit gold, but certainly silver. New battery and solenoid and we had it running. Body is not great, but nor is mine after all these years! Surprisingly little rust which tells me that some serious work was done on the car at some point in time. Added a pos-traction rear and radial tires which I do not like and will get rid of as soon as they wear out. Power disc brakes also have to be added. Other than that, it is ours to enjoy on sunny, nice days. The only water the car sees is what comes out of a hose.

Sorry, picture of car does not copy and paste.

It’s great that the car finally came back to you. It sounds like you’ll be a great custodian.