Hagerty.com

6 beautiful Brits buy, sell, or hold

Fifty years later and I found the car of my dreams!
I am the third owner of the most beautiful 1965 Austin Healey 3000. I have to agree that it’s monitory value is not high but that’s not what it’s
about.

Exactly what information are you providing to collectors? Price trends. And what do you then do with these trends? Forecast future values based on simple trend extrapolation, as far as I can tell. Why do you assume these trends will perpetuate, rather than plateau, or even reverse? This certainly happens in the values of other types of investment assets. Furthermore, pricing collectible assets as investments is highly subjective since they pay no income, other than the utility of ownership. So the published opinions of an organization as influential as Hagerty are not likely to remain exogenous from the pricing process. I.e., Hagerty’s forecasts of future value are likely to have a self-fulfilling influence, at least in the short term. I have no problem with you reporting auction and sales results, but once you start using this to forecast the future, I question anyone’s ability to do it accurately – since doing so requires forecasting deviations from expected future demand – and I think you run the risk of influencing the very prices you’re trying to predict.

95 XJS, AJ16, one of the nicest riding cars I have owned. Always get looks, thumbs up, occassional “Wish we were you” comments. Often tow a small camping trailer with bicycles and kayaks on it. last year, trouble free trip from Portland to Bonneville, Park City, Denver, Aspen, Denver, (daughter lives there), Santa Fe, Durango, Moab and home. No issues at all. Wasn’t always that way, but once the car was sorted out, it is reliable as anything else. I’ve towed home the Audi, Navigator, Jaguar XJ8, but the XJS is solid. It is a convertible, so rule is the weather has to be good enough to go out with the top down, but grossing the Rockies at night, stars are fantastic. This car always makes us smile to drive it, other cars, not so much.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I thought I was fairly knowledgeable on the subject. Mention British Leyland to most people and they look at you as though you’re speaking a foreign language. I loved the TR3, electric overdrive and all. It definitely provided a “close to the road” experience. If I left my arm hanging out overtop the door frame, my fingers would actually drag the ground. Thanks again for the response.

1 Like

@ devra-robin: The SP250 did get killed off right after its worst structural problems (heavy but flexible chassis, especially) got mostly fixed, just because it was priced uncomfortably close to its new owners’ XK-E. I had possession of an earlier unmodified one, and while I never had a door fly open from chassis flexing, I did have the very expensive glass rear window of the hardtop pop out after I drove over some ripples in the road and shatter into a billion tiny bits. The handling could be treacherous for the same reason, though on low-traction surfaces it was beautifully balanced and lovely to throw around. Its good points (including instant starting in sub-zero weather) were many, but the car was not nearly good enough to keep. I believe these do sell for strong prices, but it is really a niche car.

What do you think of the Jensen interceptor?

Hard to believe that you didn’t even mention one of the most iconic British cars of all time. The Mini. Built in its original form from 1959 to 2000, in many different configurations, including the Mini Cooper and Cooper S. It was sold as a saloon, estate, van, pickup, and the Mini MOKE.

It did 160 mph???
What!
Down a mine shaft?

My 1983 XJ6. 109000km

Purrs like only a cat can do.

Reliable, easy to work on, spares infinitely available and Oh so sexy!
1960 BN7 (2 seater) built at Blackheath, South Africa.

1 Like

Through Rogers Pass early one morning in late August. Top down. Absolutely amazing.

I think there are two main problems here: 1) there are so many beautiful and fun British cars that a list of 6 cars is too restrictive; and, 2) tastes vary. For me, I would have picked all roadsters cause that’s what I like (XKE, 100-6, 3000, TR4, 5/250/6, Spridget (including bugeye), and may others).

With regard to reliability in general and Lucas in particular, I owned a '62 Midget for a few years and a '72 TR6 for 34 years and have no knocks on general reliability or Lucas. I’ve also owned a few 60’s and 70’s GMs. I did not find a significant difference in reliability in any and have always been pleased with all of my cars. When you own older cars, you need to be aware of what will need your attention (anticipate); and, either be good with a wrench or be willing to crack open your wallet.

Divov:
Back when Jags were Jags, huh…
Had a series 2 (BRG) and always loved the series 3, as well. The body shape of these rides was sooo special, so unique when compared to absolutely anything else out there.
Keep it like this car deserves it!

Nobody mentioned the 1996-2006 Jaguar X100 XK8/XKR series. Gorgeous, heritage easily traceable to the E-type, power, pace, and grace, and easily priced under $10,000. in today’s market.

Good luck with the Sprite. I just about a 1960 and paid a lot, but it needed nothing and was cheaper to buy it that way than to fix things myself. It was a previous 1st place winner at an All British Field Meet. I bought it mostly for sentimental reasons because the first car I ever bought was a Bugeye Sprite and the one I just got is nearly identical. Only downside so far is that it’s much harder for me to get into 55 years later, but my wife sure likes it.

Turner - I have had a number of sixties era British cars (some over 20 years ownership) with Lucus electrics, and I also had very little trouble. My cars had minimal, simple electronics - MGs, Land Rover Series IIa’s, Cortina’s, etc. Maybe Lucus’s reputation came from luxury with complex amenities / devises, power windows, door locks etc. found on Jaguars? Don’t want to pin all fault on Jaguar, but I think there is truth to this.

You know what I find interesting is the continued negative comments about the Jaguar’s. I venture a guess that most of those commenting have never owned a Jaguar. I have owned 16 over the years and loved everyone of them I presently have a 1970 E-Type I have driven for over 40 years that is one of the most reliable cars I own. Yes it had some rust issues when I tore it down to restore a few years back but now it is as reliable as any car American or British I have ever owned. I wouldn’t hesitate a minute to drive it anywhere.

I lusted first for a TR3, but never was able to actually try to fit into one (6’-3" tall). Next was an MG TC, which I tried out in LA. The tranny had been pulled, had RH drive, and it was so tight in the footbox (along with not being able to stretch out horizontally because of the seatback) that I wouldn’t be able to manipulate the pedals. I asked the owner how one adjusted the seating, and his reply was to take out some of the stuffing in the seatback. So much for ajustability. I’ve also lusted after an XK140 drophead Coupe (also not tried out for size) and a MK2 saloon, which was probably low on oil, since most was being removed out the tailpipe. Finally in university, I climed into the “back seat” of an AH 100-6, to go with some fraternity brothers and was smitten with the actual desire to purchase such a marvelous machine. After graduation, the opportunity arose and I was able to obtain a 3000 MK II BJ-7 for half its purchase price (3 years old), which is currently being restored. Along the way, some years later I also was able to rescue a 3000 MK II BT-7, which needed much TLC to be usable and safe. The BT-7 has undergone complete restoration and is currently a weekend warrior on the highways and byways, has made trips to Oregon and California with no real problems. Not having space for any more than 3 cars, all I can do is lust over the likes of an XJ-6, early 60’s Bentleys, Jensen Interceptors, or even a 1951 Nash Healy - the one that is very similar to the appearance of the AH, in that the headlamps are in the fenders instead of in the grill per Nash styling. I still wonder how the Brits grew legs in older years, as the sportcars seem to have been built for children with no legs?