Hagerty.com

6 cars Hagerty readers wish lived beyond the 2010–19 decade

When we asked readers last week about the cars they were sad to see end production in the 2010–19 decade, we weren’t sure what kind of response we would get. As usual, however, the readers came through, and the final list of top mentions reads like a driver’s delight of cars that could see rising values at some point in the not-far-off future.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2020/01/13/6-cars-hagerty-readers-wish-lived-beyond-2010-19-decade

Evo probably should have made the list, but non-domestic stuff doesn’t get a lot of forum love here from posters.

The Saturn Sky platform always intrigued me (whatever label it was wearing) but always seemed like a style refresh could take it up another level.

Overall, a good summary list that reflects the forum tastes well.

1 Like

Well I guess I’m not such a fit as I thought to the norm. I can’t honestly say I’d miss any of the ones shown in the illustration simply because with one possible exception I would not have ever bought a single one of them. I am older war baby who has owned a LOT of cars from every ilk you can think of over the years as an enthusiast and one of those genre’s is pony cars an as such I have owned four
Mustangs which hopefully will continue to exist . I’ve seen them go from great to grub and back over the years and luckily I’ve always bought them at a model peak and been lucky to have good ones . That said may recent purchase of the 19 Bullitt is far and away the best overall choice of Mustang past or present and has become a true Sportcar with GT capabilities second to none in any price point and possible standing completely alone in its Bullitt configuration. No Camaro or Corvette , would ever be in my garage for that reason. Not to mention styling which the Bullitt has been able to garnish all the best in styling cues along with GT performance numbers more than adequate for all grand touring occasions .

I realize I have a different taste in cars than most people. Personally, I was bummed to see the Honda Element go in 2011. Considering the popularity of crossovers nowadays, it strange to me that Honda stopped making it. It had so many great features. The way the seats folded up in the back provided a perfect spot to haul all sorts of stuff as well as provide a flat space for sleeping. Heck, there were (are?) companies that make a pop-up camper mod for it! Great for dog owners or people regularly throwing muddy gear in the back. Generally, IMO, an under-appreciated vehicle!

While not a specific model, was also bummed to see Saab kick the bucket in the last decade. I wasn’t a particular fan of their cars in the decade (because GM made them generic like the rest of their marques). But Saab as a whole made some awesome cars in their history. Maybe some Swedish billionaire will revive Saab as some fandangly new electric car company. In the meantime, I’ll continue to drool over every Saab 900 Turbo that pops up on Bring A Trailer.

2 Likes

@reassoc1 - I was surprised when the responses did not include any mentions of Mustang. It seemed more than a few of the responses were folks wishing to save cars they did not, nor have ever, owned. I know I would love to see the Chevrolet SS still in production so I could at least have the chance to buy one. Sadly, that doesn’t mean I actually can or will.

1 Like

The greedy American car companies continue to disrespect the American car buyers by deciding to only sell 4 wheeled kleenes boxes…if we want to buy some sedans with style we will have to turn to Japan and S Korea…sad.

Forgot to include Vauxhall VX220 in your list.

This list is about cars that are no longer produced. The Mustang lives on, so it rightfully shouldn’t be on the list. Now if the Shelby GT350 had been discontinued (thankfully not!), it would have been a worthy contender for the list.

1 Like

^true…

But analog Mustang is dead. History may look back at the 2012-13 (if I have that right) Boss and Laguna Seca models as the peak of pure driver’s Mustangs (though they weren’t tech free).

I agree about the Saab before GM. I’ve owned a Porsche, 3 Mercedes and 3 BMWs, among many other cars, all which I liked. The one car I truly missed was a 76 GL. It seemed to incorporate all the positive attributes of the above mentioned vehicles in one car. It was pre turbo, but had enough power to be fun and made a great exhaust noise. Very comfortably and handled well.

1 Like

Lincoln Town Car, Grand Marquis and full size Ford. Best long commute rides on the road…

1 Like

Love the GL. My dream Saab is a 99 Turbo. Love that body style.

Might have had more responses if the question was reversed. What vehicles you’re glad to see that ended production?

Same here, although I think it wasn’t that big of a seller compared to the CR-V on which it was based. It’s so hard to find one now that is clean and lower mileage (I’ve seen many over 200k) that doesn’t cost a handful of bills.

When it became obvious that Acura just wasn’t going to produce any more Integra/RSX type sporty hatchbacks for empty nesters or confirmed bachelors, I broke down and bought a used/low-mileage ZDX. Too big/heavy, but at least the styling/performance was there. Old enough now though to appreciate all the luxury ‘bells & whistles. Looks like I’d better take good care of it, as likely no replacement on the horizon.

@gsica1949 - We will keep that in mind for the future!

The Checker. lol Yes, some of us here are throwbacks to a time when no onboard anything helped the skilled driver back up, park itself, drive itself, or tell us when to brake or breathe. For me, the question can’t be narrowed down to a group of six, much less one in particular. It is about the death of the American family sedan. The extinction of names like Impala, Crown Vic, LaCrosse, and Town Car would have been unthinkable not too many years ago. Now, in a sea of black, grey or white cloned SUV’s , it calls for a beeper to find my own car. So, what I really wish had lived beyond this past decade is individualism and opportunities for middle class Americans to still have what made our auto industry great in the first place; affordable CAR choices that excite the American consumer, not just the products of corporate cookie cutters.

2 Likes

Checkers were interesting. Look up Icon Derelict on YouTube. If I won the lottery, my first (and probably only) wasteful, foolish, but completely satisfying squandering of money would be to have Jonathan Ward build me a Checker Cab Icon Derelict. Now that would be a conversation piece!

What an excellent choice! To have that piece of urban Americana in the driveway would be a real plus. I found this Joe Pollard clip when I went to YouTube, too! He’s really into them. Check out the Checker of his here. Have a great night and thanks for the reply to my comment, Scott.

Steve

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYhMNGiK-Kw

A buddy of mine collects and restores these.

Tips for those interested in the same:

Some parts from other makes are interchangeable. The internet can be your friend here.

If you decide to keep/ refresh the stated mileage and prices or other decals, by all means do so, but then cost it with clear coat paint.

Saw an old taxi cab meter at a flea market recently. So, parts and stuff are out there, happy hunting to you that go on the expedition.