Hagerty.com

6 classic workhorse trucks and SUVs you need to drive

It’s hard to imagine a modern world without help from trusty vehicles that are capable of doing our heavy lifting. Without trucks and utility vehicles, we wouldn't have the means to transport food products, medical supplies, or fuel. High-rise buildings wouldn't exist, roads would crumble, and some locations would no longer have access to fresh drinking water. We wouldn’t have UPS or FedEx deliveries, and fire trucks and ambulances would have a much harder time coming to our rescue. So let’s take a moment to honor the workhorses of yesteryear. Here are six classic utility vehicles whose legacy of grit and toughness we still admire today. We’ve even picked out a few examples you can rent yourself through DriveShare.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2020/02/06/classic-workhorse-trucks-and-suvs-you-need-to-drive

The F series used to be F-100 through F-300 for 1/2 ton. 3/4 ton and 1 ton capacities. In the 70’s, unleaded fuel was mandated for all cars and all trucks 1/2 ton and under. This meant the F-100 had to go to unleaded while the F-200 and F-300 stayed with leaded fuel. Leaded fuel was still highly available at this time, with most gas stations installing an extra lead free pump and retained the Regular and Premium leaded gas. Many customers, especially commercial and agricultural, wanted a 1/2 ton truck that ran on the leaded, so Ford came out with the F-150 that had a load capacity of just over the limit yet was still priced near the F-100. To make things simpler, Ford changed the -200 and -300 to -250 and -350, as the writing was on the wall regarding leaded fuel and they didn;t want the model designation causing confusion on pricing with the customers. I was selling Fords in the '70 and we rarely had an F-100 on the lot, stocking mostly F-150’s and above. The Econoline vans followed suit. Chevy and Dodge just changed the weight ratings and kept the model numbers the same.

While not a vintage vehicle yet, my daily driver is a '97 F-250HD crew cab with the 7.3 diesel. Bought it new and can’t see ever selling it. Other than normal maintenance, I’ve done nothing to the truck, even though it’s 23 years old with 265K on the clock. The 94-97 Powerstrokes are trucks worth owning.

Not sure where you got your information!
If you’re correct, I will have to go out to my collection of 1966 F250s and replace all the “5s” with “0s” on their factory badges.
Just say’n

Dang! You’re right. This should be a lesson for everyone: just because a person “was in the room when it happened” doesn’t mean they remember the facts correctly. Ask any cop who interviews three witnesses of the same incident. I do know that in 1978 we were selling F-100’s and F-150’s, as well as the bigger trucks, and that the 100 had to use unleaded fuel while the 150 was exempt - barely. Perhaps I just assumed Ford created the F-x50 series just to get around the Federal regulations. At that time there were way too many cars and trucks that needed leaded fuel; after all, the 1968 Mustang or Camaro were only 10 years old. As time went on and regulations tightened, oil companies found supporting both no-lead and leaded was expen$ive. I remember the last time I saw a gas station with a leaded fuel pump. It was September 1989 in Montana, on my way to Seattle from NY State to lend my skills to Boeing.

Now then, you have a collection of F-250’s??? I am impressed. Never ran across anyone who collected 3/4 ton trucks before.

1 Like

I’ve owned J-20 Jeep Pickup for 15 years after Jeep Wagoneer for 30+ years, hard to kill as work vehicles but have gone back to Dodge W150. The ‘77 Dodge Warlock should not have been put through what it did until 1981.
Now my ‘78 Dodge W150 Warlock is just for fun and not abused, enjoy your truck the way you want to, each to his own. Thx

My uncle has the same dodge power wagon military truck. He bought it right after Vietnam and still has it today still running and driving. Very cool truck.