Hagerty.com

6 Porsche models to buy, sell, or hold

At the beginning of 2019, our valuation team noticed an unusual trend in the Porsche market: the seemingly endless trend of rising prices, especially for air-cooled models, was slowing down. We asked Hagerty valuation analyst James Hewitt to probe insurance quoting activity and values to get a feel for models to buy, sell, or hold.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/07/11/porsche-models-to-buy-sell-or-hold-summer-2019

No discussion about some of the more obvious models, the 914, 924, and 928?

Also, what would a 356 replica really be worth? Just curious because there is one on the market near me.

Kyle

1 Like

I’m curious about the value of 356 replicas, too. Particularly the 1959 Intermechanica 356D Roadster. Any input would be appreciated.

Well, we can’t talk about every Porsche to hold. Technically, the 914, 924 and 928 would be a hold because they’re a car that if you have one, they’re doing well and it seems that if you’re in the market and want one on a budget, that window is closing to get one at a “reasonable” price. The 944 is just the best hold car of the holds without making the entire article about them.

As far as replicas are concerned, it is a crap shoot and there is no straight answer. It is all going to come down to the quality and “correctness” of the replica. If it is pretty true to the original 356 and is putting down original 356 level power, you can pay at least $30,000. Average prices tend to be in the high teens to mid $20,000 range for a reasonably well done replica.

Thanks for the info…

I had initially thought Hagerty was 944 centric.

For I had seen a lot of articles about it… However; there have been articles about the 914 and 928 as well.

I have never seen anything about the 924, the “entry level Porsche” after the 914…

good to know about the going rate for Porsche replicas… a true inspection would yield up whether or not it was worth that asking price, but it sounded like they weren’t far off whatever the market rate is, then, which was why I asked.

Kyle

If you want to drive the car, in my experience, the 997 is a much better car than the 996. I owned both and the 996 was a comparatively cheaply built car - mine had an endless series of little mechanical problems and rattles (that could not be resolved for long).

The value of a replica (of any car - Cobra, 356, etc.) is never going to be more than the driving pleasure and quality of the build. A well-built car, without lots of mechanical headaches, is going to have a floor of a certain amount but it’s also going to have a ceiling as well because supply is effectively limitless - in the short term.

opinion as to a 1970 911S

I’m holding onto my 930. Not as an investment but as a great car to drive. It’s currently at 325 rwhp, which is about the same as a 2019 Carrera.

1 Like

Why would 356 Replicas be included in this article? They are neither Porsche’s or 356’s!

The best ‘value’ at the moment is the 911 3.2 with the 915 gearbox. Much improved from the SC, bullet proof engine, low maintenance, prices currently soft. Not sure how that fits in the buy, hold or sell analysis though. IMO, the front engine pcars have been low priced for a reason - the maintenance - although I wish I had jumped on a later model 928 a few years ago.

what is your opinion as to a 1970 911S

We did see a downturn in values to those cars in the spring and the current Hagerty Vehicle Rating is at 29, meaning it is lagging behind the market average overall. From current appearances, the market appears soft for 69-73 911s in general. Tough to tell what the future holds though, but the low HVR rating doesn’t necessarily mean the bottom is dropping out. We likely won’t see an abundance of good examples come for sale until Monterey car week, which is a good point to check the temperature of the market for these cars.

For what its worth, I would have loved to have been smart enough to have bought a 1970 911S eight to ten years ago when they were dirt cheap - today they are priced in 930 turbo range so it would be a hard decision. I love the feel of the older cars so I’d definitely be a hold if I owned the 911s. At today’s prices though I’m not sure I’d buy one over the Turbo but I wouldn’t sell it it to buy a Turbo either.

The main issue with the 996 was not the headlights shape. It was the endemic series of deadly issues that made early engines a time-bomb. It was also an issue of cheap plastic materials and the “meh” interior design, copied from the Boxster.

The only 996 worth buying are the Turbo and the GT3. Otherwise much better to go for an early 997 - superb build quality, much nicer to look at and more reliable.

I’m also surprised that the 928 has been ignored: values have soared and I’m curious to understand if they have peaked yet.

Yes, 928’s are a sorry situation. One of the best GT cars ever, yet worth virtually nothing. Had a beautiful '86.5 last year, and after trying to sell it all summer was happy to get $10K. Still have four to go and can’t imagine getting more than $8K for any of them even a nice '85 Euro or a good '83 US five speed. I see a lot of big-price ads, but no evidence that they sell. Maybe after I sell my last one the prices will go up . . .

What would worry me about some of these especially the 968, is availability or cost of the electrical/circuit boards/computer pieces which degrade over time, new or used. Unless someone out there is remaufacturing these pieces, you may be outta luck. The 968 is a low production model and there may be nobody out there yet who sees it worthwhile to make parts.

Can we see your opinion on the 356 models. I’d be most interested in what the “Experts” have to say. ……………Jim.

That was kind of my fault… they weren’t included in the original article as far as I know, but in the comments I had asked about it because I was curious as to what a fair price for one of these would be since one is for sale in the local market near me.

Sorry for the confusion.

I think 930 is better as a long hold. Buyers who had a poster of a Testarossa, Countach, or Turbo on their walls as a 12 year-old are still coming into their discretionary income, and there are far fewer than any 911S. It really is an icon. And I’ve put 20,000 awesome miles on mine.

My Euro 928 is a much better car, but it’s never going to have the Poster Factor. I’m letting go.

1 Like