Hagerty.com

7 stone-cold bargains from Scottsdale 2018

A lot of amazing cars come to Scottsdale every year, and there are always plenty of enthusiastic buyers who make the trek to Arizona. Most cars bring market-appropriate results, and some bring bigger money than they probably deserve, but with more than 3000 vehicles crossing the block over a full week, a few inevitably slip through the cracks and go to a new home at a bargain price. The cars below aren’t all necessarily affordable, but all were serious bargains relative to their condition.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/01/23/bargains-from-scottsdale-2018

Your idea of a “project car” and mine must be totally different! I don’t consider a good driver quality car a “project”, even if it does need a lot of detail work to be a perfect restoration. It does cost a lot to start with a rougher car though… and not so many want to tackle a “real project” as in the past…

Do the hammer prices listed above include the 8%-10% premium paid by the buyer?

@bruce - The price listed on each of these as the purchase price does include buyers premium.

38 years in the car business shows me the same reason why these cars didnt do well; 5 out of 7 are blue…always the sale-proof color, always difficult to sell in any brand or year.

And the Silver Cloud looks like it may have blue leather…

Very interesting comment. I have heard the term ‘re-sale red’ as a way of increasing the value of an older car, but never heard anything about blue being a disincentive for value. What is the history or background story here?
I had a friend auction his absolutely bone stock original, right down to the paint and chrome and interior (everything, a true survivor with all documentation from new, one family owned) 1966 Oldsmobile convertible BB 425 at Barrett- Jackson Scottsdale 2018. Blue on blue on blue. Sold for a song.
Could your theory explain it?

Not theory, experience. I had a retail car lot for 7 years and most of my old dated inventory was blue in color. The rest of my 38 year career was spent as a wholesaler to new and used car dealers and dealer auctions. I recall having two back to back Corvettes, same year, same miles, same auction, same day, one silver (a mediocre color) and one blue…silver sold for $18,000, blue one $15,500. Two Camrys, same result, 15% difference in value. Black to keep, red to sell, blue dont own. Next time you are at a new car dealership or driving by try finding the blue ones. Most of my dealers i sold to wouldnt buy blue. A lot of colors come and go in popularity, green being the most extreme, but blue is always tough to sell. My love of old cars has been mostly old Cadillacs and have had great success with buying and selling…until I purchased an original paint 80k miles 1965 Fleetwood garaged its whole life, one of the nicest original cars i ever owned, enjoyed it for a year and took another year to sell; Light blue metallic, lt. blue vinyl top, medium blue brocade…sale-proof! I dont believe in color changing a car but a blue one I would repaint red or black and it would make it worth more.

Experience vs.Theory. I like this response. Back in the 80’s I had a manager who promoted the theory that rich people bought white, conservative thinkers bought blue. I have a life long associate who is borderline filthy rich who always goes white - always remembered the manager’s comments and found them interesting and poignant. Given the decline of conservative thinkers, maybe it feeds both the theory and your experience that blue doesn’t sell.

Never seen the term ‘sale-proof’ before. Means can’t sell?

Cheers,
Scott