Hagerty.com

8 Beach Boys car songs that actually mention a specific car

When calling out the roll of classic rock and roll car songs, the Beach Boys immediately come to mind as having been at the forefront of the 1960s hot rod ditty craze. Edging out Jan and Dean in crafting some of the most memorable melodies meant to be enjoyed from a single-speaker dashboard AM radio, the Beach Boys built their image around muscle machines and tasty waves, combining surfing and cruising with a consistency no other band was able to match.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/08/03/beach-boys-car-songs-that-mention-a-specific-car

How about Dead Man’s Curve? Stingray and XKE?

Sorry. Jan and Dean.

Not so fast, Brian Wilson was a writer on that song and the Beach Boys did record it!

Not quite a car, but Little Honda is about a motorbike!

It’s not a big motorcycle,
Just a groovy little motorbike.
It’s more fun than a barrel of monkeys,
That two-wheeled bike.

You forgot the little old lady from Pasadena. I know Jan and Dean did the original but the Beach Boys did it as well. Brand new shiny red super stock Dodge. I was never really a Dodge guy but growing up in the sixties the super stocks were hot cars.

Jan and Dean are my favorites in the surfing and car genre. Don’t forget “Shlock Rod” - “I got a '48 Buick and it’s olive green”…

You’re right about the taping by Brian Wilson, of Gary Usher’s car for the “409” engine sound effects. However, Brian didn’t know anyone with a 409 engined car, so Brian used Gary Usher’s “348” Chevy engine sounds, on the record…
Cheers!
AL Z.
Cheers!

Again…here is a 1962 Dodge Dart, w/a 413, & Ram Induction. Dennis Wilson owned a ‘63 Corvette Sting Ray (2-words), but it wasn’t a “Fuelie.” No doubt Dennis’ car had the 327/300 engine…
That’s Dennis’ Sting Ray on the cover of Shut Down Vol 2 album. There are pics of his Sting Ray, with wsw tiers in frt. & black wall cheater slicks in the rear. Mopar Muscle Mag (and other articlesm from various periodicals), state that typically a 327/360 Fuelie (with slicks), couldn’t beat the Dart as equipped. B-U-T!..Because Dennis owned a new '63 Sting Ray, they wanted it to be the winner…NOT a '62 Dodge Dart. And… yes…they sing “…Super-stock Dart…winding-out-in-low…” (NOT Dodge!) Cheers!
Al Z.

Sadly, on the BB’s “Little Deuce Coupe” album, Capitol Records went with a cover pic of a highly customized 1932 Ford 3-window coupe, known as “The Silver Sapphire” It had an Oldsmobile V-8, and a supercharger…certainly NOT a flathead! My guess is Capitol Records used this car for it’s “Photo appeal”, and wouldn’t know an Olds engine from a FoMoCo flathead, or a wonton :stuck_out_tongue: for that matter! We’ll never know if the Little Deuce Coupe was a 3-window, or a 5-window, but I say “FOUL!” - as Capitol could have chosen a nice '32 with: “The flathead mill…” - as there were plenty of them in the Los Angeles area. So-it-goes…" :slight_smile:
Cheers!
AL Z.

Whether it was a “super stock Dodge” or Dart, it still didn’t have "…Ram Air induction, as was mentioned in the article. I think we all know that it was Ram Induction. “…he’s powered with Ram Induction…” Remember the Long Rams that Mopar was putting in everything from 300 letter series to some Imperials to the Super Stock Dodges? We were still a couple years away from Ram-Air!

Yes…a slight miscue when the author mentioned “Ram Air Induction” - as you state. NO worries! Dodge Ramcharger and Plymouth Super Stock cars could run the 1962 [Max Wedge 413 ), sold for drag racing, it boasted an official 420 bhp at 5,000 rpm. Street legal but not street practical. Cars with the same engine set four class records in 1962 NHRA racing, and made mid-twelve-second quarter-mile runs commonplace. On NASCAR tracks the long-ram setup was less than ideal, since it traded off power at one engine speed band for power in another, and was difficult to tune, due to the huge manifold.
However… ***NEW! 413 dyno tests conducted at Chrysler in 1959!!! This work resulted in the 1962 introduction of the Max Wedge 413, which came equipped with not only a cross-ram setup (this time a short one with the carburetors mounted conventionally between the valve covers), but also a pair of huge, up-swept cast iron exhaust manifolds. These are probably the most exotic-looking factory race parts ever made in the United States. Pistons were available in two compression ratios: 11:1 and 13.5:1. Mechanical cams and lifters were used . The heads were a new design with huge (2.08" intake) valves ground to a tulip shape. There were many other special parts used as well, including beefed-up valve gear and oiling components. Also, the factory made sure to upgrade the transmissions bolted behind these engines.
The “Long-Ram Induction” intake runners, were very short lived for S/S drag racing, and quickly replaced w/the above. So too, were the original ‘62 413 displacement, w/a .030 overbore, for 426 c.i. NO mention Of “Ram Air” here… :stuck_out_tongue:
Cheers!
AL
P.S. The correct lyrics (background voices), are actually singing: “…Tach-it ‘up…tachin’-up…” NOT tack it up! For the repeat refrain, in the beginning verse, they sing a combo of tach-it-up…and tachin’-up… :slight_smile:
***NOTE: Below, is a red 1962 Dodge Dart Ramcharger 413. The name on the door reads: “DART” Typical of the car the Beach Boys were singing about in “SHUT DOWN!” :slight_smile: “Super-Stock DART winding out-in-low…”

Not trying to be an Ass but according to genius lyrics they actually said in the song a brand new shiny red super stocked dodge. No mention of dart. As I recall from that time everyone referred to these as a super stock rather than a dart.You could buy a dart but not all darts were of the super stock variety.

Metalartcycles: Really???!!! You wrote: “Not trying to be an Ass but according to genius lyrics they actually said in the song a brand new shiny red super stocked dodge. No mention of dart. As I recall from that time everyone referred to these as a super stock rather than a dart.You could buy a dart but not all darts were of the super stock variety.”
You are mistakenly referring to a totally different song, and artists. To wit: Jan & Dean’s “The LITTLE OLD LADY FROM PASADENA” - the original artists. Also that’s [edit] “…a brand new shiny red super STOCK Dodge…” My references were about the song “SHUT DOWN” - by The Beach Boys… :slight_smile:
The production DODGE DART was introduced as a lower-priced, shorter wheelbase, full-size Dodge in 1960 and 1961, became a mid-size car for 1962, and finally was a compact car - from 1963 to 1976.
You’re right about one thing…“You could buy a dart but not all darts were of the super stock variety.” Nor, were all Dodge’s Ramcharger’s…
Cheers!
AL :slight_smile: P.S. The original version of “THE LITTLE OLD LADY FROM PASADENA” - had the lyrics: [edit] “… You can see her on the street…just gettin’ her kicks now…with a 4-speed stick and 426 now…” Either Chrysler Corp./Dodge Division, and/or Liberty Records - “balked” (legal issue’s!), and the lyrics were changed to: [edit] “…If you see her on the street don’t try to choose her…you might drive a goer - but you’ll never lose her…”
Thanks!
“I think I see a car coming…so I’ll Dodge out-of-the way…and Dart across the road…” :wink:
SONG HERE>>>> https://youtu.be/en7AsxxrupY