Hagerty.com

8 classics that could be yours for under $10K

So you think a limited budget prevents you from owning a collector car or truck? Think again. There are plenty of driver-quality collectibles out there with prices that won’t singe your wallet. For some prime examples, let the latest Hagerty Vehicle Rating be your guide.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/02/07/classics-that-could-be-yours-for-under-10k

Just wondering why the 1969 and 1970 Pontiac Grand Prix is always overlooked in Hagerty articles? Just wondering. I have never seen one article on those models.

There is nothing on your list besides the Miata that I would accept free, gratis and for nothing!

I agree with you, I bought a 1969 Grand Prix new and thought it set the way for the Chevy Monte Carlo.I loved the Pont. it had plenty of power and was very stylist, I wish I still had.

What is so very sad, is a collector car in California that’s newer than 1975 has to ever 24 months go in for a smog check even if it is driven very few miles. Thanks politicans

Maybe someday they will listen to there clients (you know, the collectors) rather than who ever is picking these vehicles. The Pontiac GP is an incredible example. Also how about swapping the 4-door Lincoln for the sporty LSC Lincoln?

The '78 T-Bird is essentially a Fairmont two door coupe. I worked for Ford when these cars were produced and nobody really wanted them then. Have we so thoroughly exhausted the supply of desirable cars to warrant the presentation of an economy coupe dressed as a Thunderbird, a two buck Lincoln four door and a collection of trucks and Jeeps as collectibles?

Got to wholeheartedly agree with you bud!
What a load of crap…

Who thinks their Lincoln Town car is a collectible? Haha

You can’t find a decent 69 or 70 grand prix for less then 10k. The folks at Laverty are right, this topic was collectibles for under 10k.

As usual I disagree with most of Hagerty’s articles describing this or that as a classic/collectable. One can point to any number of cars/trucks that are certainly more desirable than those that appear on this list. While the price of admittance for each of the vehicles listed might be reasonable does it make sense to buy said vehicle that will never really rise to true collector car status? Not to me it doesn’t.

I thought the premise of the article was vehicles under $10k that Hagerty was seeing action on the insurance quote side? Interest in quoting eventually translates to rising prices in a collector market.

Anything rear wheel drive and big made 1990+ is seeing interest because they are a now-rare configuration of what many 40+ year olds remember being good cars.

Malaise era stuff is gaining steam. Probably not the spot to store a car and make big bucks flipping a few years later, but more interest is there than just wreck 'em derby material.

I cringe everytime I see any of these cars at a car show! they are not in the same league as cars built prior to the latest maybe 1975! Most car show limit entries to cars built before the mid to late seventies. With the exception of the GSX don’t think there were any cars built later that would be deserving.

Certain car clubs and magazines used to limit to pre-49… recent issue of Street Rodder had a first gen Camaro on the cover. Limit your audience with a date cut-off you limit your audience.

1970s stuff earned a bad rap because you got gaudy, bloated, very era-dated colours and colour schemes and a lack of performance power. Some great-selling things were very passe a short time later.

Take most mid-70s cars, put the slimmer bumpers originally meant for the design on them, lose the overstuffed colour-matching interior, extra chrome/lights and put an actually performing engine in them and you have a better-handling, more comfortable musclecar. That’s without modifying the suspension.

Remember, in 1967, a 57 Chevy was just a decade old used car . I don’t get the “anger” towards the cars listed here. If we want to preserve the car collection hobby, don’t put people down for their tastes. No, a 77 T-bird isn’t for me, but it might be for someone. They might not be great cars all of them, but they mean something to someone. I’ve always liked the last “Aero Town Cars” (90-97) because we rented them on vacation a lot when I was young.

I think it’s time for me to look for a different insurance company for my classic cars. Hagerty is so obviously out of touch with today’s market. Who writes this crap? I believe I will be off this mailing list soon…and will not miss it at all.

These are just used cars…older than 25 years. They may be emotional remembrances for
some one, but not classic designs of fifty or sixty years ago. In the late seventies and eighties
cars weren’t designed to an emotional part of life… just economical transportation…they all
started looking alike. It was all about high gas prices, and creature comforts…not style…
I also had a 69 GP, and am looking for one, but can not find a good one at a reasonable price…

You mentioned them in many other articles; but they need to be mentioned in the “Under $10K” discussion; the C4 Corvette and especially the 95/96. You can pick these up for well under $10K and not only are they a true “American Muscle Classic” but…hey they are one of the most respected, recognized American Sports Car; no matter what problems the C4 had…under $10K and yes “your driving, enjoying a Corvette”, love my 1995 C4

This is a nice car.
Not like the other garbage touted in this Hagerty article. (excl. the Miata)
Here is a great example of a car under 10K which is worthy of being a low price entry level classic car which I would be proud to own.

@pepperalls
You wrote: “Certain car clubs and magazines used to limit to pre-49… recent issue of Street Rodder had a first gen Camaro on the cover. Limit your audience with a date cut-off you limit your audience.”

You are so right. I was a member of the NSRA for many years. I knew when they would not allow any vehicles after 1948 as part of their requirements, they would paint themselves in a corner some day and they did. They had to eat a lot of crow and lost a lot of pissed-off members when they changed their golden rule.

Along those same lines, the town I live in has a huge cruise once each year for 1972 and older vehicles. Why this cutoff? There used to be a lot of cruising by kids nightly here. So much so that the merchants requested the traffic pattern be changed from 2-way streets to 1-way. The change was made in 1972 and the cruising was killed.

So, in 1992, the decision was made to set aside one day each year to let the former cruisers and anyone else re-live yesteryear by closing the streets to allow '72 and older vehicles to cruise the town. I was there in 1992 and have been there for most of those cruises.

At first, it was great! We all saw old friends we hadn’t seen in years. Hell, a lot of the guys from back then still owned the cars they cruised with in the old days. But as the years have ensued, I have noticed a definite shift in the interest in it. There used to be huge spectator crowds in 1992 and for the next few years but that crowd has dwindled as onlookers became bored with the same old same old. And the audience has grown younger and can’t relate to the same cars we can.

At last year’s cruise in 2018, there were fewer participants than ever (several I knew had passed away) but many of the ones there left early. There just wasn’t that spark that used to be. So sad.

So, let this be a lesson to any of you who are responsible for any type of automotive events. Nothing lasts forever. Embrace the younger fans in their newer vehicles with open arms. Or else lose it all.