Hagerty.com

8 classics that could be yours for under $10K

Love all the glass. Pontiac styling was top notch!

I always love the banter when Hagerty does this. There are always so much negativity though. If you are a “true” car guy, or girl, you can’t bash a vehicle you don’t like before thinking it must be “the bomb” for someone else. Maybe your taste is completely different like an American muscle car is to a Ferrari or Porsche. Well I have owned from a Pinto to a '68 Mustang Fastback GT 390, to a Jetta, RX7, a couple Toyota Tacomas, a 944 (bought for $5k w/50k and will keep, why it’s not on this list is a travesty and much better than 924’s that Hagerty seems to put on these lists), a few Mercedes, and now a Porsche Boxster Spyder. I have loved them all. When I go to a car show or judge one, I like models I could buy or never afford, no matter how different they are to what I have owned. I don’t look and a think, “that thing is a piece of crap”. Remember, I said I loved a Pinto? Laugh all ya want, because with a few simple mods, that car was seriously under-rated (and all I could afford) and a pure blast to bomb around a dirt horse track late at night in my high school days.

Let people like or love what they want, because if you don’t, things are gonna change for the worse and go the way of High School Auto shop, cruising the “Main Drag” or dwindling car club memberships. You better start embracing the younger gens now and whatever cars they want to like and get them hooked on cars like we got or our passion and theirs will eventually die by the wayside of electric cars, scooters, Uber and Lyft.

If you want a good auction site for “true” car lovers that features a large variety of well maintained, low mileage vehicles, try BaT or Bring a Trailer, a truly good place to buy let alone learn from owners.

@sharxsnax - The 944 is on our radar for sure, but in #3 condition they are $11,500. Just missing the $10k mark for this group.

Awesome…by that definition the Miata is a “Classic”. And since we’re wanting the “highest quality” we can eliminate most of those supercars built during the same period that have to be worked on 2 hours for every 1 hour they’re driven. Or are we confusing “quality” with “cost”?
“Classic” definition also has the terms “memorable”, and “traditional” in it. I have no problem calling most cars at some small fundraiser show “classic”, since each one usually evokes a memory in me or it’s owner that’s precious. And many of their owners care little whether it increases in value. The rest is just pomp and circumstance…and the selfish wish by a few to keep the separatism alive. I’m not confused.

Well put. I say it all the time about my 84 . Most people
know nothing about the history of these cars, all they see is a Corvette. A true Icon.

Not everybody has to agree with everything, If all you can do is complain, See ya!

Bravo, geok86…well stated and spot on! A true gentleman gearhead never disparages another gearhead’s car(s) or preferences in cars!

California’s loss is my gain. I got a really solid, better than driver quality 1978 Dodge Super Coupe because the owner was tired of smog checking every year. He and his wife have 1970 E-Bodies to enjoy. First thing I did was ditch the catalyst adding true dual exhaust, really waking the motor up.

Excellent taste.

I agree, I had a 93 C4, they have an LT1 motor that’s 300 hp and with a 6 speed manual are lot of fun and fast enough for me car. I also had a 91 ZR1 (LT5 motor) that was 375hp and that was scary fast to me. I should have kept that car with 27,000 original miles on it and I paid $17K(that was a good price) for it in July of 2012. I sold it in April of 2014 for $20,500. I didn’t have to put much money into them either, they both were nice cars and ran great. They hold their resale value pretty well too!

i would ride with my friend from holly to clarkston michigan on i75 and he would hit 100 everyday and cruisei never told him to slow down because i always felt safe in his 1970 grand prix i think he said it had a 400

A “classic car” is defined by differing opinions. However there are those who appreciate some car for a personal reason. So it’s a classic to that person.

That being said, some collectible cars were made in special dedicated factories or were custom or semi custom built or had qualities that distinguished them from more ordinary cars.

The T bird was such a car up to a point. Then it was twinned up with the Lincoln Mark 4 sharing components and assembly plant. Both were still unique cars.

The example here as pointed out was just a trim dress up on the Grand Torino mid size ford of the day.

A badge engineered something else called and trading on the reputation of the real Thunderbirds that made the marque famous but that were no longer being made.

Same story with Cadillac.
Before selling Chevy Suburbans as Cadillacs they built a gussied up stretched Chevy Caprice and called it a Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham. This is long after the Cadillac plant on Clark Street in Detroit was closed.

Before that Cadillac had its own body sheet metal, engines and assembly plant known worldwide for its high quality.

Yet people still want to love and collect these mere symbols of what once made the brand famous.

I totally agree with you. I own a 1997 Mark VIII coupe in metallic ivory with an ivory leather interior which is my daily driver, and I don’t have the slightest desire to drive anything else. It is absolutely cherry - everything works and it only has 95K miles. I live in the suburbs of Atlanta GA and I almost never see another Mark VIII of any vintage. If you can find a really good one, I’d snap it up. For beauty, performance and reliability, I don’t think it be beat!

That Dodge Magnum (I had a '79) was, when it was dressed out, every bit the luxury/sport ride that the Imperial was not. (There’s another dandy, that Frank Sinatra edition Imperial is a magnificent ride.) I had that gaspy “electronic fuel monitoring system” that never should have been put on them, but I had some help from the local hot rod shop in taking that off and redoing the carburetion; what a difference!

Great handling from a mid-size car that looked good (that Cord-inspired grill is killer), got decent mileage, was as comfortable as a Lincoln or Cadillac any day. What isn’t “CLASSIC” about that?

1991 Mazda Miata with under 100K miles. Small turbocharger and inter-cooler, tightened up suspension, and a Hard Dog roll bar. More smiles per dollar than any car I’ve owned. The NA Miata seems to be seeing a rise in valuation as they are getting harder to find. Also, the Miata was the tutor for teaching my son the value of three-pedal driving.

I like the way you summed it up.
Had they said: “8 collectable cars that could be yours for under $10K” - I would not have commented.
But please - don’t call them classics.
No matter that there ‘may be’ (?) many out there who love them.

I really enjoy these articles. It’s unfortunate that so many people find the need to be so negative in the comments, though. Usually these people fall into the category of “My car isn’t listed, so I’m personally offended!” or “These cars aren’t included in the category of cars I like, so I’m personally offended!” Get over yourselves. Everyone’s tastes are different. Sure, these cars aren’t the most desirable in the market, but a lot of people bought them when new, which means there are millions of people out there who found these appealing, and owning one now might offer a degree of nostalgia. A lot of these cars wouldn’t be my first choice for a collector car, but that doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate them for what they are.

Take the '90-'97 Town Car - growing up, I remember those were EVERYWHERE on the road. At the time, I couldn’t have cared less about them. But now, 25 years later, seeing one in decent shape on the road is rare, and it stands out among the ocean of modern cars. A lot of generic boxy cars from the 80s and early 90s weren’t considered worth saving, which makes seeing a nice example today all the more exciting. A guy down the street from me daily drives a mid 80s land yacht Chrysler. It’s not rare, in showroom condition, or even anything all that special. But every time I drive past it on my way home I smile, because this guy likes it enough to not replace it with something newer. That’s what this hobby is supposed to be about - driving what you love. Not crapping on others because their tastes don’t align with yours. You don’t have to agree, but you don’t have to be an ass about it, either.

Nice Grand Prix! During my brief 1 week career selling cars in 1976 I got a speeding ticket on the test drive of a 455 SJ. I called them 'Super Jive’s" because the coolest Brothers I knew had them then.

The 455 was a sleeper. Nobody thought a 4200 lb car could beat a GTO tri-power…SURPRISE!!!

Its a matter of preference there are cars on here make me go Huh?. I found a 1967 Impala at a muffler / auto repair and left my phone number asking the owner if he wanted to sell it call me. A few days later the owner called me saying whats your offer. I said 4K he said how about 10? I said a little steep, called him back a few days later he said will you give me 5K I said deal. I was happy he was happy. Found out the engine and trans had been rebuilt a year prior with a price tag of $4300. Driving it home the trans had a very delayed shift. The passing gear linkage was stuck and delayed the shifts. I believe he thought the trans was going bad again and did not want to put any more money in the car.