Hagerty.com

8 classics that could be yours for under $10K

@divov… Why can’t they be called classic? Please enlighten us?

Hello? Your very own post I believe!!

“Collectable” covers a multitude of sins and people are collectors of all sorts of cr*p.
I still find it amazing that people collect and pay vast amounts of money for old comic books or baseball cards!
On the strength of that, feel free to collect “any” car without fear of ridicule.

@divov,
You “believe” wrong. That was a quote by another in this thread trying to re-define “classic” to fit THEIR parochial view. And I pointed out that it would indeed include the Miata and surely some of the other makes you both seem to be looking down your nose at. It’s just a cloaked way of saying “expensive” or “exclusive”. And a “classic” need be neither of those.

Uh, yeah…I’m sure we’re all reassured by your permission.

Definitions vary by source. I like the definition of a, “Classic,” car provided by Wikipedia:

A classic car is an older automobile; the exact definition varies around the world. The common theme is of an older car with enough historical interest to be collectable and worth preserving or restoring rather than scrapping. Cars 20 years and older typically fall into the classic class.

Classic car - Wikipedia

Have to agree

This response is not specifically related to your statement but whenever a hear
Ford Pinto I remember the first car I ever owned when I was a bout 14 or 15 packing perhaps 1986. It was a 1974 Ford Pinto four cylinder, three work, seriously and I paid $40 cash money for it. On a good day I could get up to 49 miles an hour I could never bring 50 it lasts for six months coming to school and back Soccer games to hockey games etc. And then one day it just stopped running pulled it over on the side of the road and walked away. And that my friend is a true story.

I personally like these articles because I don’t see a lot of young people getting into old cars and this is the price range I’ve always hung out in. I have a 69 Continental that was under 6k, a 1980 Seville that was 2000 and a 1978 New Yorker coupe that was also 2k. If you are willing to look at other cars than everyone else, there are some great deals out there and even the possibility of a big block. I also never see my cars at a show when I bring one and that’s a bonus. Here are my picks:

1977-79 Coupe deVille. The first downsized Cadillac barely weighed 4000 lbs and had the 425 under the hood. These Tri-7 Caddies are fast and very well made.

1969-73 Chrysler and Imperial. These fuselage body Chryslers are big, feature amazing engines (383 or 440) and are super fun to drive with true power steering. And that styling, Syd Mead has one, so I’m not the only one that thinks they look great.

1974-74 Mercury Cougar. How would you like a Gran Torino with all the trimmings and a choice of 351, 400 or 460? These big cats are very rare nowadays and have always been my favorite of the breed.

1975-79 Chrysler Cordoba: if the 70’s elegant styling and soft Corinthian leather are not enough, remember that the b-body is basically from a 1971 Charger and these Chryslers handle really well. With 400 and 360 options, this is a fun way to have a muscle car.

1971-78 Oldsmobile Toronado: The flagship Olds coupe from the 70’s is basically a half-price Eldorado, using the best of breed Olds 455 as standard until 77. The 77-78 had the XS model, equipped with a hot wire bent glass wraparound rear window. The geometric crushed velour was pretty groovy as well.

Obviously, I love the Malaise US cars, but the point is that there are a ton of great choices if you have a little imagination and individuality

The Grand Prix Model J, SJ and SSJ were labeled as they were in an attempt to draw a tie between them and the Duesenberg Model J, SJ and SSJ.

That’s something I never knew. Thanks for the information I can pass on to interested car buffs. I always thought that the J stood for John as in John DeLorean, the man who took part in creating the 69/70 GP.