Hagerty.com

914-2.0 1976 california smog

914-2.0 1976 does this car need to pass the calif smog to be licenced? Can any one help me on this?

According to California’s DMV website, vehicles newer than 1975 are not smog exempt. Here’s where I found the information. https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/vr/smogfaq

I have owned this car since 1976 and want to start driving it on the California road. I has all the componets Catalytic converter, air pump and injectors. Any recommendation of how to smog check this 20,000 mile car?

So here is the deal. A California emissions test has two parts. The first is a visual test were the tech checks to see if all the appropriate emissions equipment is present and functioning properly. Second is the actual test where the emissions are measured. You didn’t say how long it has been since you last drove the car, but if it has been sitting for awhile you should probably do a complete tune up and have the car inspected to make sure everything is functioning properly. Next you should take the car for a nice long drive to clear out any carbon build up. You will need to pay the registration fees before doing this. Then simply take your car to a test station, make sure the car is up to full temp when you take it in. Don’t be surprised if the car fails the first test, the VW engines in these cars are difficult to make pass and it may take some fine tuning.

here are some pictures of my car