Hagerty.com

A 1992 Toyota Century is the weirdest, most brilliant cross-country cruiser

My ears perk up when people start talking about a particular car out of nowhere—the Toyota Century is the latest earworm for my habit. This beautiful, hand-built sedan was created for Japan’s business elite, and it showcases the best of comfort, subtle style, and technology.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/10/10/1992-toyota-century-cross-country-cruiser

I’d recommend checking your ground before trying to find a new speedo sensor. My 95 land cruiser had the ground bolt for the speedo sensor loosen up 2 years after my cylinder head rebuild (which was on the intake manifold of all places), and the engine vibrations would simulate a pulsed signal as it lost and gained connection.

Now finding a manual to tell you where the speedo ground on a century might be a little tricky. Especially one translated to English.

very beautiful car. but the dealerships here wont touch them.

You’re 100% right about that!

Good tip- thanks! I’ve been looking on eBay and eBay Japan for a while for an official owners manual, it would be really handy. Thanks to Google Translate, at least I know what all the buttons are for…