Hagerty.com

A Corvette offer you just shouldn’t refuse

This is going to be the shortest edition of Avoidable Contact you’ll ever read, and to make it even shorter the second half is optional. Here goes:

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2020/03/18/a-corvette-offer-you-just-shouldnt-refuse

Jack, I’m the guy who sent you a Corvette question a few weeks back (probably one of many). You suggested I buy the C7, and I did as you suggested. I’m glad I did.

On the left coast dealers aren’t dealing (that may change with recent events), but somewhere in the great plains I found a 7M GS 2LT for $15K off MSRP. Even after paying $1200 to truck it to me, it still ended up being a heck of a deal. They were offering 0% in February as well, but also offering $4K in rebates that I’d give up to get it, so I paid cash instead.

I won’t say that a C8 isn’t in my future, but not until the hype dies down, the dealer markups evaporate, and hopefully a manual transmission enters the picture. Some rumors indicate that the C8 ZO6 will be NA, which would be extra enticing. But that said, the C7 is, in my opinion, a tour de force and a work of art.

1 Like

That all makes perfect sense and I really like the C7 Grand Sport but I put my deposit on a C8 3LT the morning after the online debut! First the strike and now production is shut down again. I read an article this morning that says that GM notified dealers that not all of the currently ordered 2020 C8s will even be built. They did say that the higher optioned cars usually get preferred build dates so I might have that going for me. For me though If my C8 we’re not to be then I’d be better off buying stocks at give away prices for now and sell them by time the latest Z06 C8 comes out in a year or two than buy a C7 now. Used C7s with extremely low mileage will always be plentiful as many Corvette owners spend more time waxing then driving.

In November 2014, I traded my manual C6, which I loved, for a 2015 C7 Stingray (manual, of course) which was stunningly better. When all the details of the C8 started coming public last spring, I had put nearly 60k miles on my C7 and it occurred to me that I might wear it out before I was ready to go mid-engine, if ever (maybe never without a stick). Not patient enough to wait for the inventory clearance sales, I ordered a 2019 to my picky color and creature comfort specifications and took delivery in August. It is absolutely a “master class” as you said. I surely could have saved thousands by waiting, but no regrets. Now I just hope I don’t break it.

Best summary of the C7 (absent typical C8 frothing) I’ve read yet. I love my C7 Grand Sport M7 Z07 and have absolutely zero interest in getting fleeced on a C8 to try and be “cool”. In the real world the C7 just flat works. It’ll be interesting to see how C8 owners adjust to mid engine snap overseer during their hero moments out on the streets. Not going to be pretty.

You said a C7 is indestructible. WRONG! My Z06 has had a new rearend under warranty, new wheels and new tires not covered by warranty. I will never buy another GM product after the way I was treated by GM for 2 months. It only has 3700 miles.

1 Like

Jack, I did exactly as you suggested, last September actually. I picked up a 2019 C7 Grand Sport 1LT in Elkhart Lake Blue with GS livery, competition sport seats and the wonderful Tremec 7-speed manual gearbag. I love it! The car was about $16K under sticker.
I’ve owned and driven many sports cars since the early 80’s, and still have my one-owner 1985 Mustang SVO. I’ve been open-tracking since the mid-90’s, and I plan to put this Grand Sport on some road courses, because that’s why God and Chevrolet made Grand Sports.
Perhaps there will be a C8 in my garage someday. but I’m not sold on the looks yet, and it’s going to need a real cave-man manual gearbag and 3 pedals in the footbox for me to be fully accepting of it, I know it’ll be slower, but I’ll deal with that.
Cheers.

I was looking at used Corvettes in the fall when I stumbled upon a dealer only 100 miles from my home that was discounting all their new 2019 Corvettes 20% off MSRP. I bought a Grand Sport 1LT with a manual for what other dealers were asking for their used ones. It was a no brainer.

I’ve never even driven a Corvette but I think I know a lot about wheels - please satisfy my curiosity (and vent if you like) and describe why your wheels needed replacement in 3700 miles!

I purchased a 2017 Z06 manual transmission convertible leftover from out our state. At the first service at my home state dealer their certified Z06 technician informed m many of the Z06’s were shipped with low levels of gear oil in the rears and mine was one of them. I was surprised he shared this with me it he did. I have just under 2k miles on it but absolutely love the car, especially the value for the money. Tire replacement on the other hand I expect will be often and expensive for someone fortunate enough to enjoy it often.

Call your dealer and see what the price is for new chrome wheels -
$2000 each. The chrome pealed on mine. At first GM said they would
replace them, but they changed their mind. I did not learn about the
tire low temperature problem until my dealer told me about it 2 years
later during my 3rd oil change in the winter. NEVER AGAIN!

@Chickensnob - Come on now… You bought a car equipped with “high performance summer only tires” and then are up in arms when they don’t perform (and in fact are damaged) when driving in temps below 40 degrees?

Seems like the owner needs to take some of the onus to know their car and its equipment. Why would Chevy warranty tires (a wear item) that you used outside of their proper operating conditions? Ignorance is no excuse. Chevrolet is not in the business of paying for customers to learn about their cars.

The wheels on the other hand seem like something they should have helped you with.

The chrome pealed at less than 3000 miles.

From a metallurgical standpoint, getting Chrome to stick to Aluminum has always been rather difficult, and for that reason, I’d never have Chromed wheels, factory or aftermarket.
The caution about operating the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires below 50F ambient is mentioned several times in the Corvette owner’s manual, and the manual even has warnings about storing “competition oriented” tires at temps of 20F or below, and recommends allowing them to warm to at least 50F for 24 hours or more before driving on them, but you have to RTFM to learn that.

Ah - Aesthetics wasn’t even on my radar but that is still a failure. Thanks.

I was hoping to take delivery of my C8 on April fools day, now I know that’s not going to happen. Lost so much money in the market its probably OK to wait longer. Hard to believe my C7 is only worth $30K. I should probably just keep it but my 8 car garage is full. Someone is going to get an amazing car for a great price.

There have been some reports of C7 Grand Sport and Z06 wheels bending and cracking, and I’ve read of at least one class action lawsuit filed against GM as a result.

The wheels on my '19 Grand Sport are, so far, just fine.
There have also been a small few forum claims of wheels “flat-spotting” while sitting in the garage, which the engineer in me says is patently ridiculous.

2 Likes

Great advice. Here’s my 2019 Grand Sport.

1 Like

Just FYI… we (our shop) saw the chrome on aluminum problem way back… in the 90’s or even earlier… with many Lincolns, Cadillacs, Pontiacs, etc. Some of them looked “ok” but needed a lot of scraping and buffing to clean up the sealing bead area when replacing tires. Not quite perfect, but that would seal them for at least a few years.
They cost a fortune to replace, even many years ago, and most of our customers weren’t in any position to drop big $$$ on a new set. Another very common symptom was the proverbial “slow leak” which was commonly caused by the same type of corrosion.
I always wondered when any manufacturer, who obviously knows about something like this, continues to put the product out there? What is the deal with that? Keep in mind that wheel specialty companies are the producers and suppliers to the car companies

Hmmm. Tires have not been an automobile warranty item on any car I have owned. Foreign (German, English, Italian, Japanese) or domestic. Always warranted by the tire manufacturer and stated in the car owners manual and typically with separate documentation in the owners jacket. They may have decided the reason the chrome came off was due to your failure to follow the recommendation provided on the tires mounted on them.