Hagerty.com

A soldier on deployment finds his Mustang Boss 302 race car under rodent assault

40 year Air Force veteran always wondered why they only ate my Mini’s wiring during deployments. Buy a Max Jack about $2K. Keeps my 63 Vette up about 3 feet and makes oil changes and detailing a lot easier on a 66 year old man.

As a Vet I thank you for your service. Regarding your vehicle storage, I like what others have said about he storage bags, but I have not tried them. I had a camp in Florida where I stored several vintage trucks and found that if I left the hood open a few inches it kept the critters from chewing the wires and vacuum hoses. Also, from long experience I found that it is a good idea to plug up the exhaust at the tail pipe and the air intake to the carb/throttle body to prevent infiltration of mice there. I also don’t recommend a car cover in storage as rodents like dark and secure places. If you use poison/bait don’t put it in the car, this attracts rodents; place it around the periphery of the storage area or outside under covered containers (old mailboxes work great. If you want to prevent harming other animals place a cinder block on the lid of the mailbox close enough to allow entry of the rodent, but not far enough for a dog or cat to reach it. If you use the poison, you need to keep it filled, so, not always an option if you are away unless you have someone to check occasionally. I have heard that mothballs work, but I have never used them. It is good to know that the dryer sheet thing does not work. I hope you keep your car and can clean it up. It is a part of you and worth keeping.

Many of us who live in the country have to deal with expensive rodent damage for our classic cars as well as the daily drivers. When I park in my carport I pop the hood so the engine can cool faster, then put a solar powered motion sensitive path light in the engine bay. I also use traps and high-frequency emitters, but my rodent problem has resolved. You can also wrap your wiring with rodent resistant tape. I hope you can resurrect your Mustang. Keep us posted on your progress.

Years ago, when I was a ROTC cadet, some anti-military students attempted to disrupt our drill practice, and we cadets suggested that a couple rifle butts to the face would solve the problem. The officer in charged calmed us down and said, “Always remember, you’re wearing the uniform to insure that these people have the right to protest.” I guess not much has changed except to add that our military is there to also protect the right for some people to act like ignorant jerks! To Mr. Hagerty, thank you for your service, and I hope you get your Boss 302 deodorized and fully restored in the very near future!

First off, thank you for your service! Many here have good ideas on how to control rodents. As an insurance agent I just want to add that under no circumstances should anyone assume that when you tell a insurance company that you are putting a car in storage that they know what you mean. Make certain. That you always maintain comprehensive . That is the coverage you need when a car is stored. I only recommend this for long term storage, short term just leave it covered!

Gives new meaning to the term “rat motor…”

I had a similar problem with rodents getting inside as well as under the hood. I used electronic ultrasonic pest control units. They took care of my problem for good. Another problem I had was moisture (since my truck is parked in a garage without heat or AC (climate controlled) inside my truck and mildew was a problem. I used a product called damp rid and the results were zero mildew. Below are the links for both products.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NK4ZKN5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lowe’s Home Improvement and Home Depot sell this product but it is cheaper on Amazon. Sometimes Amazon has great prices on 1 gal. size refills because once or twice a year I have to empty out the collected water and replace the moisture absorbing crystals in the cups.

Has anyone tried mothballs? A open box in the trunk, a open box in the interior, and a open box under the hood,placed there when you store it. I’ve never had mice.

Will mothballs work? Maybe. But you have to maintain them. As you must maintain traps. They definitely will not last a winter season, never mind the year plus of a deployment. I once tried mothballs to keep rodents out of the shed my air compressor is in. The rodents threw the mothballs out. So I replaced them. The rodents threw them out again and I again replaced them. This battle continued daily for a week before the rodents gave up and I won. If you use poison (DeCon, etc.) don’t be surprised to find some dead weasels, cats, hawks, or other predators around. The predators eat the dead rodents and the poison is passed on just as effective as it was on the rodents. Mouse sized traps (spring traps or glue traps) will not work on squirrels. You need the larger rat size. Peanut butter makes a good bait.

The remark about cats may seem ridicules to some, but cats were valued as rat killers long before they became pets. Get a “Barn cat” and you will not have a mouse problem. All you will need is a car cover because you know the cat is going to get on top of the car.

My uncle, Geo Ohr, know for Ojo’s junk yard and vintage cars of Biloxi taught me that a good bar of soap will keep the rodents away. The simple things are the best things. Today, in a world of simpeltons, basic knowledge is lost. I too have his auto genes, and have 20 vintage cars. Irish Spring and Zest are my favorites.

Just quit while you’re ahead…and stick to cars please.

Not all of us were in the service to fight wars. After my time in south east Asia, I spent 9 years in Europe and one in Korea maintaining aircraft as a deterrent to possible wars. We helped keep the cold war cold by being ready to sow destruction if needed. Because we were ready, it wasn’t needed. Msgt USAF (Ret)
PS, Looks like I should check on my Daimler to see if I am harboring some vermin.

Put moth balls in cut open the box put open boxes on floors and trunk but then you need to air out car but better than mice

So sorry about your Boss 302, been there and had that happen to me also. I have found very few things that are “mouse proof” other than a car jacket or a barn cat. My choice, barn cat! Thank you for your service sir!

I own two cars that are never winter driven, and one, a 1970 Alfa GTV has been in storage for years. I keep moth balls scattered around the concrete floor under the car and some placed strategically in the trunk, engine bay and under the seats. The other, 1994 Supra TT has been stored every October through May using the same method.
Never had a rodent problem … sure some Napthalene smell that gradually dissipates, but no rodent damage, chewed wiring or stench.

Hey there. I own a small business in the NJ/NY market that is specially geared towards removing odor for cabin spaces of vehicles. Restoring them to optimum freshness. Company is called Nuvinair and the treatment takes 15mins. I’d be happy to donate a treatment to see if it can help you out. Let me know and reach out if you’re interested.

Sorry about the Boss and thank you for your service.
My wife and I left for Az. (Snow birds)
We left our 2015 toyota Avalon in the garage , had plenty of these electronic bug, and rodent repellents in that garage.
Came home to a mess. found out later toyotas are called “Mouse Mobiles” , because they are so easy to get into.
After a thorough clean up I discovered on the internet that mice do not like peppermint oil.
I bought some now my sons 64 Pontiac conv. and my 64 skylark conv. get oil treatments , no mice.
I soak a cotton make up swab with peppermint oil , place it a baggy with holes and place them in various areas of the car.
just my 2 cents.

Tom

THANKS FOR YUR SERVICE!!! TRY AN OZONE GENERATOR. IT WILL WORK WONDERS. I bought one for under $100 and you can run it in the car with it completely closed up. Then start the car and run the heat/air wide open for at least an hour or so. For the rest, put it in the garage and open hood, trunk, and doors. Run the ozone generator with a fairly strong fan moving the air around the garage. After this, leave everything open for a few minutes to air out. hopefully that will solve the problem completely. We insure a local fire and water restoration company here in VA. If you are anywhere close to Central VA, I am sure they would be glad to help you. You may find a company close to you that can help.

Hi, I work for another insurance company and our research department found a couple of products that may eliminate the rodent odor. One is Zymex Enzyme Cleaner Odor Eradicator and the other is Auto Medicine. Either may eliminate the mice odor and it may take two applications.