Hagerty.com

Add some weirdness to your garage with these 9 auction oddballs

Arizona Auction Week always has more Corvettes, Camaros, Mopars, and Mustangs up for grabs than you would ever know what to do with. From the other side of the pond, there are also high-dollar Ferraris and pre-war Mercedes-Benzes to keep you dreaming. With thousands of cars on offer, there are also bound to be some weird ones crossing the block, as well—and consignments for 2020 do not disappoint.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2020/01/07/auction-oddballs-headed-to-scottsdale-2020

At least my '63 King Midget has doors on it and not chains. Does that mean they are removable to tow the Lawil home also?

I’d rather have the King Midget than any of them! I’ve always wanted one. Yours appears to be a very fine example. Is it Wisconsin or Kohler-powered? Post a few more photos if you have a chance.

2 Likes

I kind of like the style and carrying capacity of the Packard, but it would take up a lot of garage space, like the black Silver Spur I had the Nineties. I don’t name my cars, but this one deserves to be called “William Randolph.”

My car has the 9 h.p. Wisconsin motor.

4 Likes

The Varzina is all ate up with motor and Ace Hardware chain.

That Alpine is a good looking car!!!

Get some wide shoulder straps so that you can wear that King Midget!
lol

Hey, I was looking for maybe… the late 60’s to early 70’s Fiberfab Valkyrie?

I’ll take the Packard. I think the rock band mentioned was “Hot Tuna?”

1 Like

That Packard just screams “Going In Style”.

That Plainsman wagon is a cool looking 50s car. The Bertone and Zimmer also fare well, years later, in styling and have very cool vibes!

1 Like

Andrew, this is one of the best articles I’ve read on Hagerty. You obviously have a sense of humor and the whole thing was written with knowledge and fun. Well done, indeed.

Interesting set of 9. The Town and Country K car was of interest to me due to my 1988 Daytona (also a K car, 2.2 Turbo but with intercooler). I have her completely rebuilt but at 200,000 miles, no 20,000. You just don’t see them any more. Most destroyed in ‘cash for clunkers’. I loved driving my 1984 Daytona so much that I search and found this one in 2011.

1 Like

@teddyinneworleans - Nice looking Valkyrie! Is it Corvair powered? I compliment your taste between that beauty and the slabside GSXR in the background.

A K car! Yes it’s weird. They were awful when new and age doesn’t improve awful. I don’t see anyone paying near the estimated $ on that. Those were give away cars when they hit 2 years old.

@Kyle That’s a Slingshot GSXR, not a Slabbie. I’d take one of each though given the chance! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Regarding the Packard hearse; One of the great ironies in automotive history involved a similar model. When Henry Ford was laid to rest in 1947 the story goes… they scrambled to find an appropriate hearse, a Lincoln or maybe a Ford. They claimed there were none anywhere around so they used a Packard. So his last ride was in the brand that was one of his greatest nemeses, a Packard. Ironically shortly after it was discovered one was nearby after all.
You would think they could have had one driven or flown in in time for the funeral. image

The Zimmer is a good looking car, very sleek and classy looking. The Aerocar was featured in the second Bob Cummings TV Show in the early 60s. I don’t remember that much about the show but remember the Aerocar being used. I like the Packard. It’s a different year but it reminds me of the one they totaled in “Dr. No.” What a shame but that was back before these cars had real financial value. Also, I read Henry Ford’s final ride was in a Packard hearse because, when he died, they couldn’t locate a Ford or Lincoln hearse and you know they wouldn’t allow him to go to his grave in a Cadillac.

You’re not fooling me with that “1956 Chrysler Ghia Plainsman!” It’s simply a customized '56 Lincoln with a '58-'60 Lincoln hardtop reversed and welded on!