Hagerty.com

After 50 years in hiding, the majestic Golden Sahara is headed to auction

After decades shrouded in uncertainty and shadow, a 1950s custom car legend is about to reemerge into the light. The famed Golden Sahara, that futuristic phenom that first shocked and delighted the world at the 1954 Petersen Motorama in L.A. and was once the darling of the traveling show circuit and silver screen before suddenly evaporating from public view in the late 1960s. Now, following the passing of its owner, the car has emerged from its long basement hibernation to cross the block at Mecum’s May 2018 Indianapolis auction.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/03/16/the-golden-sahara-is-headed-to-auction

I remember seeing this at Fred Emich Ford in Joliet, IL when I was a small boy.

You know I don’t remember this car at all and I consider myself a car person. My dad was an AMC dealer in the 50’s thru 1975 so I was raised in cars but in my 74yrs this one has slithered past me.

I too am 74 but it does take me back. I would say that most of the contemporary car mags had an article sometime through the decade, IE Rod and Custom, Car Craft, and perhaps Motor Trend.
The '50s were a wonderful time to start coming of age, we were lucky to be young then.