Hagerty.com

Almost Classic: 1984-1990 Ford Bronco II

The Ford Bronco II is in many ways the black sheep of the Blue Oval SUV family. Although collectors fawn over first-gen Broncos, and despite the rising prices associated with the later big-body generation of the truck, the II (aka the Deuce, aka Junior) has never made the same kind of impact on either the classic market or the imaginations of enthusiasts.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/04/05/almost-classic-1984-1990-ford-bronco-ii

Hi, nice article. I can attest to the claims here as well, my folks got an '87 XLT new and i got it as my DD in '89 when i got my license. I put over 200K on that 2.9 and sold it i think in 2009. It went through a lot of drivers, my whole family in fact. Only things that failed were the fan clutch, ICM and tranny at 190K, lost 4th.
The 2.9 was a great motor, couldn’t kill it. mine was lifted 4" sus and 3" body with "33 tires. Even had bug shield with GrapeApe on it, being purple and all.

I honestly don’t really understand why the Ranger isn’t considered a valuable collectible at this point already. The First Gens are over 25 years old and there are just VERY few clean original ones around. But they are such a great looking, unique, economical truck today. With so many sold originally, I’d think there would be a large market for nice examples today. Maybe give it another 10 years :wink:

I’ve owned my '89 Eddie Bauer for over ten years and have only had problems with the steering box (sloppy). It has been reliable and a blast to drive. This is my 3rd Bronco II ('89, '90, '89), running the first two up to 200k miles each. I don’t understand why these good looking trucks are not recognized more. My current one only has 74k miles and is a keeper.

It is true the OEM stock vehicles weren’t perfect. I ordered mine from the factory. Today, my 1989 Bronco II is amazingly responsive and somewhat addictive. As a result, I might have lower MPG. I have so much fun driving it, I lost my willpower to try to conserve fuel. Every time I rent another SUV, I appreciate this Bronco ii XLT even more. The cab interior is quieter that most SUVs in the rental market. I frequently use the tight turn radius. For any vehicle, degree of maintenance and age of parts affect performance. I have used a maintenance and replacement approach to ensure good performance and reliability, my highest regarded attributes for a vehicle. As a result, this vehicle performs better now than when it was new.