Hagerty.com

An “everyman” roadster, the MG Midget is the perfect starter classic

I have been working on and driving my 74 Midget for about 8 years. It is a great car because it fits sideways in my double garage! I bought a fixer upper because I enjoy tinkering (most of the time). Parts are easy to come by and supprisingly inexpensive. I have learned trouble shooting electric thanks to Lucas, welding thanks to rust, painting thanks to previous owner, carbs thanks to a friend, creative cussing thanks to tight places, and how to thanks to online videos and forums. Midgets are fun to drive and work on.mg

@wgrebeaou1 - Now thats a positive outlook!

I will have a little British car one of these days, as I too enjoy learning things and they just look like fun to drive.

Least not forget that the Midget’s body parts (its cowl, windscreen, doors, and trunk were used by Alain Clenet as the basis for his 1977~1979 Series 1 Roadster, which used a cut-down Lincoln chassis w/fiberglass fenders, utilizing the Lincoln’s 400ci motor, 248 of them were produced, not counting the original prototype. In that MG Midget’s configuration, those Clenet Roadsters originally sold upwards of $44K in the late 70’s, still command prices in excess of $30K, and are recognized as Neo-classics by the Antique Automobile Club of America.
Clenet

I had a lot of fun times with this car. I wish I still had it, (and the hair!!).

I’ve had my 76 Midget for the past 3 years including the 2 years to restore. This is a great little classic car that very fun to drive and show off. Yes, compliment abound especially at the ice cream stand. With a high compression 1500 engine, carburation and other bolt on upgrades there is no issue keeping up with traffic and hills are not an issue as one previous post has mentioned. Honestly, I have had muscle cars in the past but none of them provided for the fun in cruising the winding back roads of Cape Cod, top down, radio blearing your favorite tunes, and working the gears to full harmony of the tuned exhaust.

With the exception of fitting hands and body into tight places this roadster is easy and fun to work on and parts both new and old abound. Go find one, you will love it.

My son and I bought a 65 Sprite when he was 15 y.o. As a project to rebuild together. We did a rotisserie redo including a home garage repaint which looked good from 20 feet! Installed a roll bar, rebuilt the engine and kept the wire wheels with knock offs. By the time we were done he was now 6 feet 5 inches with size 15 feet. He shoehorned himself into the car and drove it to high school for a year before finally trading for a 70s BMW 328. Great memories of father- son bonding!

When I was grade-schooler in the mid 60’s the rich kid at the end of the block had a cool old MG T series that he used to run in local rallies and races. I guess he was really a good guy because he never seemed to mind me and some of my car-loving buddies hanging around his garage to gawk at his car and hand him tools as he tweaked it for an upcoming event. This was “old school” complete with the short racing-style windscreen and tape over the headlamps which he explained to us was a precaution against all of the flying gravel on the course. I don’t remember if his automotive adventures were successful because it was understood that the experience was the reason for the effort. It was pure car love. Later, in about 1968; as I rode my bike to Jr. High (7th and 8th grade) every day I would pass the MG/Austin/Jaguar dealership and dream of myself driving the beautiful sports cars that I saw in the showroom or parked on the street outside. When I graduated from High School in 1974 my father told me that he would help me buy my first car and he had many helpful suggestions on sensible cars that I should consider including the AMC Gremlin and the Ford Maverick but somewhere deep inside of me I knew that I would never be satisfied with anything so practical. It was with some trepidation that I asked him to take me to the by-then British-Leyland dealer to look at a real sports car. At that time I could not even operate a manual transmission so my dad took the wheel to give us a test drive in the Royal Purple MG Midget that had so fully occupied my every waking thoughts. After about two blocks of top-down driving my dad turned to me with one of the biggest smiles I have ever seen from him and said: “What do you think?!?” He didn’t have to ask twice and we sped back to the showroom to tell the owner of the dealership; a legend in British motoring, the venerable Mr. Hirabashi “We’ll take it!” And my dad meant that we were taking it RIGHT NOW! Without the dealer prep, cash on the barrel-head, figure it out later; we were off on a 300 mile road trip to teach me how to drive a “stick” and show off the car to HIS MOM and DAD! That was 44 years ago and through thick and thin, in good times and bad, in storage and on the street, running and almost forsaken I STILL HAVE THAT CAR. My FIRST CAR. My MG Midget. It has cost me over 3X my original purchase price of $3,300.00 to keep her but EVERY TIME I drive her I can’t believe how fun it is, how worthwhile the effort has been and how lucky I am.

@rhutchin
OK, back to reality. I’ve driven both. The Miata isn’t a neck-snapper, but if you were passing one in your Midget, they were LETTING you.

They have their own special ‘charm’ but I think the best thing that ever happened to the Japanese sportscar was the continued production of the British Sportscar.

Oops! There you go kids. There wouldn’t be a Miata if the Lotus Elan hadn’t been produced 20 years earlier on the same craggy island that invented top-down motoring. If you want economical, maintenance-free driving on a daily basis; buy a Miata. Sometimes there’s more to it.

^Yep @carmstead8736 . The Japanese took a British idea and made it affordable, just as fun…and reliable.

I had one of each. A 59 Bugeye and I still have a 72 Midget. Great little fun cars but alas I’ve grown too old
and fat to easily get in and out of it.