Hagerty.com

An oily pink liquid is the secret to rust-proofing

Several years ago, when I bought a rust-free 1987 Subaru GL in Arizona and brought it back to the Northeast, I was concerned about how its paper-thin sheetmetal would fare against the scourge of salt that state and municipal transportation authorities order dumped on snow-prone roads each winter. After doing a bit of research, I came up with something that looked like it would ward off salt and moisture from my car's chintzy steel (along with regular washing and keeping a close eye on paint chips and scratches). My secret weapon? An oily rust inhibitor from a Cheektowaga, New York-based company called Carwell.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2017/11/23/the-secret-to-rust-proofing

I am also not a salesman for Carwell but I have had my DD cars sprayed there for years and I can tell you that this is the real deal and works as it says it does. I just had my ‘07 4Runner into the dealer and he had it on the lift and said it looks great and he could immediately tell this car was sprayed annually. If you have a vehicle that you want to keep and live in the Northeast this is a must.

I’m curious how to balance regular washing with this product? Will going through a car wash regularly reduce the effectiveness of this product? Thanks for the info.