Hagerty.com

Any French Car Fans out There?

Greetings, just wanted to see if there were any other Peugeot, Renault, Citroen, fans out there. I am restoring a 1982 Peugeot 505s Turbo Diesel!

I’m a Citroen and Panhard fan. No love for the Dauphine, but some Renaults pique my interest. I prefer Peugeots from the 1930s than post-war stuff, although they built some good cars. Your 505 is off my radar but someone’s gotta carry the torch.

True…There are some incredible prewar Fench cars. Certainly cannot leave out Bugatti!. I always loved the Type 35.

As far as the Peugeot 505 goes, the car was designed in a collaboration between Pininfarina and Peugeot. There are still a few on the road in the US but ultimately the US Spec 505s are going to be rare cars, if they aren’t already. I would be interested to know how many Peugeot 505s are insured by Hagerty?

Once upon a time, I sold Peugeots and later repaired them when they were NYC’s favorite taxi (504 & 505 diesel models - 1979-1983).
Also worked for largest Citroen dealer in the USA, New York Citroen.

I am sure they served well as Taxis. Just change the oil and adjust the valves on the Diesel and it will run forever. My 505 has 432,000 miles on it and are cylinders are still in spec for compression.
There are African countries today that 504 and 505s are still used as Taxis or haul whatever.

Image from, The Club Peugeot Magazine, Peugeotist, December 2018

I have a Citroen 2CV built in 1990, the last year they were made. I purchased it from Axel Kaliske in Seattle, of www.2cvsrus.com fame. You can get Citroen parts from French Connection, which is also in Washington.