Hagerty.com

Armored ’37 Cord couldn’t prevent assassination of U.S. senator

No, Al Capone did not own this 1937 Cord 812 Custom Beverly, nor did any other member of organized crime, although the car—with its coffin nose, mafioso profile, and armor-plated body—certainly fits the part.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/11/08/armored-37-cord-couldnt-prevent-assassination-of-us-senator

The general belief today is the fatal bullet that ultimately killed Long was fired by one of his own bodyguards during a chaotic hail of gunfire. The episode closed perhaps one of the most long running conspiracy stories in US political history, namely that a “hit” was ordered by FDR himself. Not much different than politics today.

1 Like

I always like Cords and in the sixties on a Sunday drive in rural Conn. I drove by a garage with one of the doors opened, In there was a 810 Cord. I noticed it but by the time I realized what it was I was somewhere down the road. I always wondered what ever happened to that car. Could it be your armored Cord?

Armored cars are interesting but as restored, most armored cars are no longer armored.

Armoring is H-E-A-V-Y! It puts a tremendous strain on the springs, tires, drive train, etc. . Typically all the extra metal (doors, floors) is removed. The (thick) glass is retained to give it that armored look, but most early armored glass clouds over and loses it transparency. The Kennedy Lincoln at the Henry Ford has this problem, you can hardly see inside any longer.
While this Cord might HAVE BEEN armored, I would seriously doubt that it still is.

Also the same way RFK was killed.

Yes, I am familiar with this unique 1937 Cord and saw the recent posts by Hagerty. There is considerable question as to whether this vehicle was ordered/purchased by or on behalf of Louisiana’s controvertial Senator Huey Long. He was assassinated on 9-8-1935 and died two days later. Road testing of the initial prototype Cord Model 810 (E306 No.2) began on Saturday July 27, 1935 when it undertook a round trip shake down drive from Auburn , Indiana to Los Angeles , California. The initial United States Patent Office Design 97,697 for an automobile had been applied for August 5, 1935 by designer Gordon M. Buehrig and was granted December 3, 1935. The initial showing of the cars was November 2, 1935 at both New York and Los Angeles , where examples were shown even though they had no transaxle assemblies in place due to design/production problems. The Chicago auto show began November 16, 1935. [Data credit to Auburn and Cord by Lee Beck and Josh B. Malks / 1996 Motorbooks International Publishers & Wholesalers]. It is possible that U.S. Senator Huey Long or the State of Louisiana could have placed an early preintroduction order for the captioned Cord but I doubt it. The vehicle offered carries Serial # 10182S and is a Custom Beverly Sedan built on a 132" wheelbase versus the standard units at 125". Production of this body model C 105 did not commence until fairly late in 1937 Cord Model 812 production. The engine number FB2850 and Central Manufacturing Company body # C105 251 supports a late production time frame. The articles indicate a sale into Louisiana in 1939. Cord production had ceased at the Connersville, Indiana plant in late summer of 1937. All the above having been said this is a remarkable , unique and well restored Cord automobile. It will be interesting to see what the reception will be from bidders at Barrett - Jackson next January at their Scottsdale auction.

1 Like