Hagerty.com

Aston Martin aims to future-proof classics with bolt-in electric power

The future of classic cars on public roads is very much up in the air, the same air that is on the receiving end of tailpipe emissions. Aston Martin is set to give owners of its heritage models a zero-emissions option in an attempt to future-proof the company’s vintage drivers.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/12/06/aston-martin-bolt-in-electric-power

No word on batteries or the the loss of its aural thrill.

@rayhull - That’s one item I was really curious about as well, the batteries that is. The press release from Aston Martin penned it as though the battery is integral to the powerpack that replaces the engine and transmission. With no mention of range, I personally think it must be a modification that doesn’t have nearly the range that is expected from modern EVs.

They did forget to mention the very long extension cord. The announcement did mention the modification will be attractive to those who live in city centers (where there are lots of power outlets) :wink:

I cannot for the life of me understand how anyone could ever even consider “electrifying” a truly classic car like this.
Clearly, they do not in any way appreciate a classic car and have not a “drop of gasoline” in their bloodstream.

Precisely. I can’t see the point in owning one of these. The character of the vehicle is completely lost.

I am lucky enough to own more than a dozen collectible vehicles, including Aston, Ferrari, Porsche, BMW and American muscle.
Denying the energy source evolution doesn’t change reality: Fossil fuels are going to be beyond expensive, and sources will devolve to scarcity.
I think it’s brilliant that there are forward thinkers who understand it will be vastly better to keep these vehicles operational than to park them, or worse yet, scrap them. There aren’t enough museums in the world to justify what will become unusable carbon burning obsolescence.
I would gladly convert when the time came to continue to keep these cars operational.
Four dimensional art beats one dimensional art every time, with motion occupying that 4th element.
I think it’s fabulous others recognize that incorporating this potential into their current design is not only practical, it is the only likely savior of these street machines far into the future for generations to come to experience.
I’ll fully enjoy what I have now, with the expectation these won’t die with me, and can still elicit ear to ear joy doing what they were intended to do long after we petrol junkies are gone.

The other point to this is those who can’t fathom the idea of the loss of the roar of the engine or smell of gas and oil will likely be dead before these conversions take place. I am one of this group.
Look around, the newer generations don’t get dirty, and the only sound they want to hear comes from earbuds. And they are the decision makers of tomorrow.
A huge percentage of city dwellers are car-less, and most city dwellers that get rid of their cars don’t replace them.
The cost of insurance, parking, storage, maintenance is being supplanted by Uber and others. Parking facilities will become residential or green space.
Like it or not, the world is turning away. Anyone in the future who enjoys driving as we know it will be super enthusiasts. I know many older collectors that think it’s heresy to drive on interstates, or to have a automatic transmission. Most have never experienced the neck snapping acceleration of a modern electric car, and never will. So be it for them, but that kind of thinking is going to be gone with the wind, like it or not.
We are our generations version of the “faster horse” mentality, and today’s cars will go the way of buggy whips eventually. The exceptions hopefully will be these modernized versions that will allow vintage vehicles to coexist with whatever supplants it.
It sure beats the alternative.