Hagerty.com

Auction houses prove that ’80s and ’90s cars are more than a fad

The ’80s and ’90s are catching on in the collector car market, and there’s no better example of this continuing trend than the glut of cars for sale at the auctions adjacent to the 2019 Amelia Island Concours d’Elegance. Auction houses don’t put cars up for Instagram likes, they do it because they see significant interest and value in a particular model.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/02/21/youngtimer-cars-at-amelia-island-auction

Some really nice cars here, although the MB Widebody looks way too “boy-racer-ish” for me. My pick of this litter would be the RX-7, followed by the Supra. The 968 was a good car, and reasonably quick, but it is still the oddity of a giant-4-cylinder front-engine Porsche; many, including me, might be interested in a 928, but not a 924/944/968.

There were a lot of great cars made in the 1980’s (especially the later part of the decade) and the 1990’s. Just a matter of time, before they start getting the recognition that they are due.

I can see 80s and 90s car demanding great prices just due to the fact that so many were ran hard and into the ground. Just look at IROC Camaros, the nice, very clean, under 50,000 mile cars are jumping in values very quickly. These erra of vehicles are due for the respect and values they deserve and are about to hit.

Plus I’m going to be 37 in a couple months and these are the cars I grew up thinking about wishing to own someday. I think muscle cars, street rods, and rat rods will always have a place in the market but I feel they are headed for a decline as generations change and desires change with them. Those 35-45 age people are finally making a good living, many years of saving, and also inheriting businesses and insurance policies from parents. So they are starting to search those childhood passions.