Hagerty.com

Barn Find Hunter: A slew of fiberglass kit cars

Tom Cotter has found plenty of vintage sheet metal in his Barn Find Hunter adventures, but this trip he finds his way into a field where sheet metal is tougher to come by. What does that mean? Fiberglass. And there is plenty of it.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/10/17/barn-find-hunter-42-kit-cars

forget the fiberglass junk how about those Kaisers in the background. How many are there of those?

As the proud owner of a 1954 Kaiser Manhattan 4-door sedan (insured by Hagerty) I wholeheartedly agree! Forget the 'glass cars–what about the Kaisers?!

A PHD and he’s car crazy even though they are 'glass. AND HE ACTUALLY IS RESTORING THEM !!
Way to go.

Thanks to all the guys who collect these oft forgotten cars. It’s an outdoor museum.

What is wrong with fiberglass cars? Do the people who look down their noses at them wear mass-produced clothing, or do they wear only hand-made bespoke clothing and shoes?1417819-1953-chevrolet-corvette-thumb This is fiberglass

Geoff has taken a few of his fiberglass cars to duPont’s Cars & Coffee here in Saint Petersburg FL. As with most of us car guys and girls, we can see it as it is, and can visualize it as it was. The only fiberglass car I ever owned was a 1968 Corvette in 1972. duPOnt C&C is the 3rd Saturday of the month at their headquarters in Saint Petersburg Fl. It is near the intersection of Ulmenton road and 34th st N. Their website has information on the special cars that are on display for that month.

To say nothing of all those Lotus cars, and the legendary racing Porsches (904, 917) and McLarens!

I have two Berkeleys that have been in disrepair for decades. They had great styling and could be used every day. Very limited production. I would like to find a good home for them.

Geoff Hacker has a very good website dedicated to “America’s Most Interesting Forgotten Cars.” These cars are of a particular age when sports cars were not really produced in the United States and individuals realized that with the new technology of fiberglass it was possible to built a custom vehicle without extensive tooling. One can applaud their creativity, if not always the design work. Needless to say, a lot of the resulting products were a bit weird (but then so were some of the cars from mainstream automakers in the 1950s!) but some were terrific. Mr. Hacker offers bodies for the Byers SR100 now-- the original car was quite beautiful. https://www.undiscoveredclassics.com/bodies-cars/byers-sr100/

Alfred , can you contact me about your Berkeleys at nort75mk3@aol.com
where are you located ?

Tim