Hagerty.com

Barn Find Hunter: A smorgasbord of Swedish classics

Barn Find Hunter Tom Cotter’s search for dilapidated delights starts this time in Hagerty’s hometown of Traverse City, Michigan. After hearing about a large field and a few old buildings which might house a Hudson, he drives 20 miles south in search of diamonds in the rough. Despite getting near a field of cars, the trail quickly goes dead when the person Tom meets there warns he had better leave because the cops will be arriving in 10 minutes. So off he goes in search of muscle cars, and once more he’s shut down.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/03/07/barn-find-hunter-swedish-classics

Concerning the Saab V4, Ford used a V4 in the UK Corsair in the 1960’s.
So, Ford did use a V4 in one of their production cars.

What a thrill to see an ordinal Valley Motors rear bumper decal from Fayetteville NC. On one of the Volvos. Edward Alexander Wilmington NC

Saab replaced the 3-cylinder 2-cycle engine they shared with DKW of Germany with a 1.7 liter V4 as shown in the video. It is a passenger car engine they sourced from Taunus, which was Ford of Germany. It was used in numerous models in German as well as British Fords. The Austin is roughlyt a 1950, powered by a 1200 cc OHV 4-cylinder. It was definitely sold in America (this one is left hand drive)- my father was an Austin dealer and we sold cars like this new up until 1953.

When I was younger, I had a Saab with the 3 cylinder 4 stroke engine. Mine was a GT, and had such fineries as a factory Halda Speedpilot. It would really go, but you had to keep the revs up. People used to make fun of the single overhead fan shaft. I currently own one of the Austin A40 sedans. It’s completely original, never restored, and has less than 50,000 miles on it. It isn’t real fast, but is fun to drive.

Hey Tom – a couple of follow-ups. The Volvo “545” there is actually a P210 which was the contemporary of the 544. The previous generation was known as the 445, has the split windshield as does the 444. Secondly, the PV444 was likely inspired by American styling, and yes it sure does look like a '47-8 Ford, but chronologically the Volvo design predates the Ford, having been designed in 1944! I won’t take much time here discussing the Ford V4 motor, but encourage reading up on the fascinating history of the two Ford V4s - German and English variants - both making it into quite a few European Ford vehicles - and their predecessor the Lancia V4. That’s the first I’ve heard of the Ford V4 being designed for non-automotive use. ’

Regardless of my nitpicks, glad to see round-fendered Volvos getting some Hagerty love.

What’s a Valvo? I’ve heard of Volovs, but never a Valvo.

Shhh, if you listen hard enough you can hear the rust creeping. What a shame.

Great episode, as usual, but one correction. That Saab wagon model is called a 95 not a 96. The 95 and 96 were contemporary models, but the 96 was the sedan and the 95 was the wagon.

MarkA

I’ve seen Austin 7s as pre-war, boat tail, “specials” but never the later Austin A40. could be a lot more fun, and dangerous.

Hello
Im trying to put a value on a 1915 Pathfinder Daniel Boone Touring 2 door. Im having a hard time finding appraisers especially in my area of people with any knowledge of the car. If they heard of it but have never seen one. The car has been garaged for 40 years and needs love. Its buried under boxes so I dont have pictures at this time. I know the car is rare. If anyone can help or has an idea of how many were made that would be helpfull. Personally I think this is the only one left of its kind.
Thank you
Shelley

I also believe the ford v4 was used in the Matra as well.