Hagerty.com

Barn Find Hunter: Forgotten Warehouse full of Cars must go

Searching through New Hampshire, Tom Cotter digs up everything from off-beat Volkswagens to a fabulous warehouse of odds and ends that spans the classic spectrum. This episode of “Barn Find Hunter” kicks off with Tom peeling back the cover on an unrestored 1967 Jaguar E-Type roadster, which the owner took for a 100-mph joy ride before he was old enough to get a license. Tom discovers that New England is teeming VW Beetles and buses, but not before he strikes bowtie gold in a warehouse hiding a 1961 Chevrolet Impala SS bubbletop, 1956 Nomad drag racer, and 1966 Nova SS…with Corvette parts lurking underneath.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2017/11/01/bfh-forgotten-warehouse

Missed the Maserati BiTurbo next to the Beetle!

Not quite sure what the show is about because it’s a bit just messing about and too many damned VW’s.

But I LOVE those damned VWs…

He mentions the price of gasoline being “so low” back in the day. In 1963 a gallon of regular was $0.15. However adjusted for inflation that would be $1.22 per gallon today. So gasoline is as cheap today as it was then.

The minimum wage in 1963 was $1.25. So you had to work 12 hours to buy 100 gallons of gasoline.
The minimum wage in 2017 is $7.25. So you have to work 16.8 hours to buy 100 gallons of gasoline. So while gasoline is the same price - the value of labor needed to trade for gasoline is lower than it was. To keep up, the minimum wage would have to be $10.17 per hour today.

@beck - That’s a good point. We often just look at the price of fuel and not the overall picture.

I have always had the thought that we just budgeted differently then also, with the lack of $1000 phones and other tech, it was easier to spend a chunk of change on your vehicle.

I’m currently paying about $2.89. Where are you buying gas for $1.22? And I remember gas around $.32 a gallon in 1963. (unless there was a gas war going)

Curious as to what he was locking into that trailer in the final scene?

This guy is a real asshole. He’s not that knowledgeable and just plain goofy. I’ll do his job for half the price!

@paulglanakos Sorry, picked the $0.15 out of memory… from my Dad’s Shell Service Station in the 50’s early 60’s. Was more focused on the inflation rates / ratios as an example. Checking Google… looks like it was $0.30 for regular in 1963.

Recalculating:
$0.30 in 1963 is equal to $2.44 in 2017. So gasoline is actually the same price today as it was in 1963. I’m in Clearwater, Fl - regular gas is $2.20 per gallon today. I just paid $2.45 for Shell 89 octane.

The minimum wage in 1963 was $1.25. So you had to work 24 hours to buy 100 gallons of gasoline.
The minimum wage in 2017 is $7.25. So you have to work 30.34 hours to buy 100 gallons of gasoline. So while gasoline is the same price - the value of labor needed to trade for gasoline is lower than it was. To keep up, the minimum wage would have to be $9.17 per hour today. ($9.17x24hours=$220.08).

Still pretty much the same point… The picture gets worse if you factor in the additional Social Security, Medicare/Medicaid taxes and the higher percentages of IRS applied to the higher inflated dollars of income… Then figure everything on after tax dollars that you actually have left to spend…

I was just glad that he pointed out the Bricklin. When I saw the intro I figured he passed right over them. I had a salesman that had one and I was lucky enough to get to drive it once. Kind of drove like a tank not a lot of power for the weight. But that’s what you get with a 360 mopar. Really cool car though as long as you kept the motor is working for the doors otherwise you get crushed getting in and out. The guy probably had two of them so that he could make one run complete.

Bricklins had a 360 AMC motor in them. Then they switched to Ford.

Thanks for your correction. I think myself a decent car guy but by no means great. Rick told me all about the car and now that you say that I think I do remember him telling me it was amc. Matador drive line right?
Any way around it made a hell of a statement when you got out at a clients shop in that thing. His was white with tan. Cool car. I won’t dis on an AMC they have enough haters; that coming from a Ford guy.

Where can you buy gas for $1.22 a gallon?

Way back then gas was cheap didnt make much per hr then but enjoyed what we had when we got to drive 67 427 corvette coupe gas was 30 to 50 cents then and musle cars and old hot rods plentiful many old race cars out there every once and a while they come out example the carpet bagger in the northeast 55 chevy gasser nomad originally red now gold color::