Hagerty.com

Barn Find Hunter: Rare, unrestored 1957 Ferrari 250 GT Ellena

A barn-find Ferrari is about as good as it gets. In this episode, Barn Find Hunter host Tom Cotter pulls the cover off a gorgeous unrestored 1957 Ferrari 250 GT Ellena that has been sitting for over 40 years. With only 50 of these coupes ever built, it could be worth almost $700,000 in the right condition. This amazingly complete V-12 Ferrari was brought over from Switzerland in the 1970s by the current owner’s father, who was in the business of buying and selling cars, motorcycles, and airplanes he imported from Europe. Follow along as Tom goes through the details of this beautiful grand tourer, which is complete with an original factory tool kit and the oft-overlooked genuine European cigarette butts in the hand-etched ash tray.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/01/03/bfh-ferrari-250-gt-ellena

Hope you do a follow up with the owner once it is on the road again.
The tires don`t look 50 years old. Perhaps have be renewed even though the car has not been driven for 50 years. ÉÉÉÉÉ

Hi: Saw the video on the Ferrari. Cool Car. I have a pair of these fog lights, from that era. Mine came off a 55 thunderbird, that was built as a European export. It came back to Canada 20 years later, with a pair of these fog lights on them. My lights are in very good, original shape. If there is any interest, let me know.

Thanks,

Thomas

Dear Owner,
Tom said you only plan a “ mechanical” restoration, but you will find that the deeper you go, the more you will want to finish the cosmetic job too. Bella, Bella Vettura !
WHMJr

I was really, really enjoying this video until you decided to sit down in that original leather driver’s seat that had been in non-climate controlled storage for 40 years. Wouldn’t it have been a good idea to NOT DO THAT? Otherwise, keep up the good work and keep sharing it with us. You’re living our dream.

Disassembly, cleaning, and preservation. As far as paint and refinish…as little as necessary. IMO, when it comes to rust it never gets better. Therefore, refinish and paint where necessary. Laying out a tool kit on the hood would not have been my course of action, though. Thanks for sharing this rare find!

A fun story, I am really curious if the parameters of a “preservation” for a vehicle will ever be defined. Many define their actions as preserving a vehicle, but the reality (in my opinion) is they are lightly restoring like this gentleman.