Hagerty.com

Barn Find Hunter - Vintage SCCA Race Car

Tom Cotter once again heads out in search of forgotten classic cars. The beautiful barns of Vermont and New Hampshire had a few surprises for him on this trip. We start with a 1936 Ford pickup truck towing a vintage wooden speed boat, before moving on to a beautifully aged 1935 Ford Phaeton. Next, Tom comes upon a true New England classic: a Ford Model A snowmobile. Tom and his 1939 Ford woodie wagon continue on to find a friendly Vermont woman who shows us her 1967 Plymouth Barracuda convertible, which has been in her family for 30 years. To top things off for this episode, Tom uncovers a gorgeous, unrestored Sunbeam Alpine with a well-documented SCCA racing history, including a close encounter with famed race car driver, Don Yenko.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2017/09/06/bfh-vintage-race-car

An interesting note on the Ford V8 60, shown in the speedboat-
After Ford discontinued it, they sold the manufacturing line to Simca in France. They put it in their Ariel line high end models in the late 50’s and 60’s. I don’t know what happened after that. I seem to remember them also producing a sports car with it for a short time. I had a couple of Simca’s in the early 60’s. Beautiful, comfortable cars, with plastic door handles, gearshift joints that broke off, and ring gears in the differential that had little bolts that could snap off, when crossing a railroad track. I finally solved the latter by welding it to the carrier. Hummed a bit, but worked good after that.
Bill Dittrich

Note to Producers of Barn Find Hunter: Get proper lighting! It is such a shame that we the viewers don’t get the full picture of each find…Love the video’s and Tom but please get the proper lighting so that we can appreciate all that these hidden treasures have to offer…

I love this series. Always learn something new and very interesting!

Hi @rogermack50! Thanks for your feedback! Due to the way we shoot this series, lighting the locations isn’t really an option. We operate in a more “guerilla” style with this series. None of our locations are pre-planned. We basically show up in a general location, strike up conversations with the locals and try and find cars! We’ve found that most of our viewers appreciate that we’re bringing them an authentic experience with Tom instead of a more produced, scripted series like you would find on Velocity or the Discovery Channel. We also operate with a very small crew as to not intimidate the owners of the cars we encounter. If you roll up to somebody’s house with a giant van full of video, lighting and audio equipment and a crew of 10 people you tend to not get welcomed with open arms, or at least that has been our experience.

I hope you will continue to watch and enjoy the series and will hopefully come to appreciate the style and its authenticity. Thanks!

Hi Ben - a van with 10 folks is s bit much, but maybe a couple of small portable lights in a backpack would help quite a bit. The modern equipment can throw off a lot of light. Great show!
Thanks,
Rob in Nor-Cal

In this episode Tom Cotter mentioned that the Sunbeam Alpine may be for sale. I have tried to contact Tom through Hagerty on Facebook with no luck. A member of the Sunbeam Club in my area has the sister car to this car and I would love to restore it and get it back on the track. It would make things easier with the wealth of knowledge of a club member who restored his and the availability of his car to make sure to restore this one correctly. Is it possible to find out if the Alpine is still available for purchase?